The latest update for Stranded Deep on Xbox and PlayStation has started rolling out. It may take some time for it to appear in your region, but the version number in the bottom left of the main menu will change to 2104 once you’re up to date.
This update focuses on quality-of-life improvements and feature integrations from PC, along with important fixes to improve stability.
Changes and improvements to the Inventory mechanics have been integrated from the PC version. We recognized that the idea of your hands acting as an extra ‘slot’ for your held item and not being visible in the inventory was confusing. This mechanic also made it difficult to transfer held items into storage. Now the item you’re holding is displayed in the first inventory slot. The slot to the left of this is reserved for other inventory actions, like empty hands, or navigating between storage. Inventory capacity has also been increased from 10 to 12 slots and other container capacities have been increased from 3 to 5 slots.
The much requested Item Pile feature from the PC version has now been integrated. Item piles are encouraged for organization and to prevent players from gathering large piles of individual items that negatively affect performance. We know there is a reward and feeling of satisfaction from accruing large piles of stuff, so we don’t want to take that away! ‘Piles’ are an efficient way to show off your hoarding skills! See the patch notes below for more info on how to use the new piles feature.
We’re continuing to actively investigate causes of any instability and desyncs for multiplayer games. Most issues we’re seeing are either caused by or exacerbated by very large Rafts packed with storage containers. We’ve added a max raft size limit of 5Wx4L to mitigate this, but also increased overall storage slots to keep approximately the same total storage capacity.
This update also includes an important fix for players hosting games in the “USA, East” region which should improve latency and stability.
- Added new craftable item Piles!
You can create a pile by looking at or holding an item that you have 2 or more of in the surrounding area. Use the Quick Craft menu to craft a ‘pile’ of that item, which is shown by a new pile icon in blue. Piles are free to create and store 1 type of crafting item. The supported items are: Sticks, Rocks, Palm Fonds, Lashings, Fibrous Leaves, Clay, Logs and Coconuts. The capacity for most items is 50x but can vary depending on the item.
You withdraw and deposit items just like a storage container. The first item stored assigns the type of pile it is. You can remove all items and re-assign a pile at any time. When you withdraw all items from a pile, it will disappear.
Items stored in a pile are available and can be used when crafting without having to manually remove them from a pile. Note: Pile materials will be used last.
For those interested in the tech side of things, the benefits of the new piles are:
- Faster zone loading: 1 item to load, instead of 50x individual objects.
- Batched rendering for 50x items. Rendering multiple items was batched before, but the new method is even more efficient.
- Less physics overhead! Piles are a static object with 1 collider, instead of 50x physics bodies and colliders.
- Less overhead from individual Unity GameObjects. GameObjects and Components in Unity incur a small amount of overhead to validate state and run callbacks on every instance. This all adds up, so it is good to mitigate.
- Changed inventory to display the item the player is holding in slot 1.
- Increased inventory storage from 10 to 12 slots.
- Increased crate storage from 3 to 5 slots.
- Added max raft size limitation: 5W x 4L.
- Added billboards to raft pieces.
- Changed placing to snap to terrain objects.
- Changed placing to snap on foundations.
- Fixed players unable to host games in the “USA, East” region.
- Fixed player unable to jump while holding Wollie.
- Fixed “Seafarer” achievement not unlocking.
- Fixed game loading errors for players using a non-Gregorian calendar, eg: Arabic, Thai.
- Fixed player falling from Palm Tree when climbing to the top.
- Fixed game session showing as ‘Busy’ if host is near a boss.
- Fixed loss of input when switching to another item immediately after firing a projectile.
- Fixed multiple issues when using Spyglass.
- Fixed “Call Me Ahab” achievement not unlocking.
- Fixed P1 stuck in fire lighting animation if P2 destroys Camp Fire during lighting.
- Fixed rafts moving in random directions when operating a raft motor.
- Fixed game getting stuck in Cartographer when reconnecting controller.
- Fixed player colliding with raft sails.
- Fixed host and client being able to drag the same ‘Palm Tree’
- Fixed “Two of Each” achievement not unlocking.
- Fixed consecutive achievements not unlocking.
- Fixed high detail LOD always enabled for some objects.
- Fixed spoiled fruit/veg stuck in containers.
- Fixed Snake attack animation not playing for client.
- Fixed P1 able to sleep while P2 operating vehicle.
- Fixed Shipwreck ladders missing localization.
- Fixed animals not dither fading out when skinned.
- Fixed unnecessary notifications showing when loading game.
- Fixed food ‘Smoked’, ‘Cooked’, ‘Spoiled’ display name prefixes stacking.
- Fixed crafting using multiple of one material
- Fixed scenarios for host and client crafting with same materials
- Fixed able to place craftable items inside terrain objects.
- Fixed glitchy Foundation placing check.
- Fixed storage playing push audio when loading a zone.
- Various consolidation and changes to improve stability.
We greatly appreciate the continued support of the Stranded Deep community - thank you! The team are continuing to work on issues reported by players so do not worry if you do not see the issue you reported listed above as it’ll be in the queue for the team. Please continue to report any issues you experience in the Console Bug Reports section and thank you to everyone who’s reported their experience of issues thus far!
:: Beam Team