[PS5] Multiplayer connection issues

Hello ive been playing with my girl for about 30 hours or so to the game, during that playtime.

Im the one hosting the game
*We play both on ps5
*Using Auto for region
*I tried all the others but they do not work except the *Auto (im from Canada)
*I normally use the private option for the session and sometimes do public but doesn’t seem to change the outcome
*we both use NAT type 2

she encountered a fair amount of disconnections, sometime it could be in the vicinity of 10 min - 15 min mark, then she gets disconnected. Sometimes we are golden for about 1h or so then the problem comes back again.

Ive noticed that every time the disconnection gets recurrent when she gets back in the game she normally sees the insides of our chests loot in the air and when she interacts with them there is not item inside. Normally when it happens I take the item from each chest and then put them back in the same chest and repeat on all our chest which fixes the issue for a while. But if she gets disconnected again the same problem will reoccur.

I normally save after she gets booted out and soft reset my game. Sometimes she tries to get back in from the game search function if my game, most of the time she gets back in and automatically booted out or takes a long loading and if she is able to get back there is still flying chest items for her.

We both love the game but it is time consuming to do my work around which only works for so long before redoing it all over again. It affects a lot the whole game experience and her willingness to continue playing :pensive:

If y’all got an idea of what to do or things to try im willing to try em

Thank you for trying to help out and we truly appreciate the time you guys put into trying to fix these issues

Regards
Martin

Hi Bigstrom/Martin, welcome to the forums,

I’m sorry to hear you’re experiencing disconnect issues when playing multiplayer and my apologies for the delay in replying to you. I moved your post to its own thread so I could address it directly and to avoid any confusion should the OP of the other post respond to my questions.

Thank you for sharing all of the information you have done thus far. I have some additional questions to help me better understand your setup if you don’t mind.

Please let me know:

• Are you both playing on the same connection in a single household, or are you on two separate connections?

• If you’re in the same household, are either of the consoles using a wired connection? Please try switching to a wireless only connection to see if that helps at all.

• If she hosts with the same settings, do the same connection issues occur for you on your end?

• Is there anything in common that she has noticed with regards to the disconnects (eg: after accessing a crate, after drinking from a shared water container, after eating, after traveling to another island / during the crossing to another island)

• Are there any other desyncs you’ve noticed in your gameplay? Knowing this may help the team track any issues that may have a trickle down effect that results in a crash.

• Do either of you have Stranded Deep stored on an external drive?

Regarding other issues you mentioned…

• The team is aware of the issue with items not showing in containers or floating outside them for player 2 when they load into a save. This can occur due to desyncs and the team are working to resolve these issues. The current workaround is as you described - replacing items inside the containers so player 2 can see them again. However I understand this is not ideal, especially with frequent disconnects and if you have a large number of containers it’s very time consuming too.

• The team is also aware of an issue that prevents players from rejoining after a disconnect unless the host resets the game also. I understand this can add to the impact these disconnects have to gameplay and unfortunately this does not have a workaround that I’m aware of.

I’ll add details of your experiences to each of my reports for the team. Thank you for sharing them.

In response to your questions

• Are you both playing on the same connection in a single household, or are you on two separate connections?

Different connection, different households

• If you’re in the same household, are either of the consoles using a wired connection? Please try switching to a wireless only connection to see if that helps at all.
    We both tried wired and cable connection but same thing happens

• If she hosts with the same settings, do the same connection issues occur for you on your end?

It does the exact same thing if we do the opposite hosting

• Is there anything in common that she has noticed with regards to the disconnects (eg: after accessing a crate, after drinking from a shared water container, after eating, after traveling to another island / during the crossing to another island)

She noticed 3 instances prompt to a deconnection, 1. The islands loses all vegetation and only sand appears on the island nothing else loads, normally a few minutes after she gets kicked / that instance can also be seen by me (but I don’t disconnect). 2. During the no landscape / mobs amd vegetation bug if she runs through a mountain that would normally be there if loaded properly, tested when I see the landscape and she doesnt once passes through the rock wall (can’t be seen on her screen but can be seen on mine that she passes through a wall) she auto disconnect.
3. When an action cannot be performed while in the chest like one item in particular can’t be removed from the chest normally a few minutes after she deconnects. That bug can also be seen on my side. Normally is either potatoes or spoiled fruits that bugs and also after that deconnection those bugged items normally disappears

• Are there any other desyncs you’ve noticed in your gameplay? Knowing this may help the team track any issues that may have a trickle down effect that results in a crash.

Sometimes its when its when she can’t see certain items dropped on the ground but i can and can also pick up them up. Normally results when disconnected on her side by the loss of those invisible items

• Do either of you have Stranded Deep stored on an external drive?

Both our games are on our ps5 hard drive and not installed on an external drive

Hi Bigstrom,

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions in detail. The information you provided is great for the team to have as they work to resolve what is causing disconnects for players.

I have added the valuable details you provided to my report for the team so they can try to replicate these issues on their side and investigate further.

From your description, it seems like the most common factor is disconnects is some form of desync happening beforehand. As I am not a dev I cannot say whether this is an indicator of a disconnect, or a cause of one, but it is something that the dev team will be looking into further.

I have some followup questions for the information you shared if that’s ok…

• You mentioned that you sometimes experience the same issue where the vegetation / features on an island vanish before the disconnect occurs. When the disconnect does occur, does the vegetation return to the island? Or does it stay blank for you until you reset the game?

• With the Spoiled Fruit / Food issue, this is an issue the team are aware of and believe they have found a fix for (which they hope to release in the next update if it passes testing). In this issue, any spoiled food items are stuck in crates and cannot be removed. These items then vanish after the game is reloaded. You mentioned that these items vanish after Player 2 disconnects - but is this after the game is reset and the player rejoins, or does the disconnect trigger the items vanishing before a reset?

The team are actively working on disconnect issues, but unfortunately I don’t have any further workaround suggestions at this time beyond trying to change the connection type of whoever wishes to host to NAT 1 to see if that helps at all. There are pros and cons to this so I recommend you research it as an option so you can make a fully informed decision before doing so. (Some players don’t mind trying, others prefer not to which is understandable)

If possible, checking an alternate connection, such as another provider in a different location, or a mobile internet connection may help to narrow down where the connection issue is occurring - but these checks are understandably not ideal for players to try and I would not expect you to need to use an alternate or mobile connection to play the game either.

If you do try any of these suggestions, please let me know as knowing whether they did or didn’t work can also be helpful for the team. Should any of the dev team respond to the information you’ve shared with further questions or suggestions, I will respond to this thread.

Thank you again for all the information you have shared thus far.

The vegetation appears for me before her disconnection. Sometimes it can be 5 min for with the vegetation that reappeared and then she disconnects.

For the spoiled items stays in the chest when she disconnects, when she reconnects normally the items are still bugged in the chest but indeed if i logout and soft reboot the game and re open a session they will be gone

If i do try out another source of internet i will let you know if it changes anything

Thank you for your time

Thank you for confirming those additional points for me Bigstrom, I’ll update the info I’ve already shared with the team and keep an eye out for any additional messages from you.

Please also feel free to add any other issues you notice occuring ahead of a disconnect. As per the teams recent message: [Console] Message from the Team, 2022-09-19 they believe they’ve started to make progress on reproducing disconnects on their end - any additional info on indicators to look out for would be very much appreciated.

Thanks again.

I am having the same issues with my S/O. I crash out and now xant see anything in the chests and the items are floating in air.

Lilcutechar - apologies for my delay in getting to your original post. I have now responded to you there.