[Known Issue][PS4/XB1] Stuck in "Cleaning Up" phase on load

@Clare

PS4 player, version 2078, playing on dev created island, day 142, saving with shelters/sleeping bag.
Try to load game and stuck forever in loading/cleaning up phase. Ever since this big patch there’s been MORE bugs than I’ve ever experienced before the update. This is garbage

PSPro, system fully updated, saving to cloud, most recent game update. This holiday weekend two different save slot files, both at home island while saving at shelter, solo mode. One file at 28 days, second at 14. Several items on ground nearby but not in view during saves. Second failure I noticed was carrying spear in hand. First freeze, unknown. Both instances frozen at save will not exit save step, must close game, reloading gets stuck in clean up. I don’t remember if the save banner at the left appeared or not.

Somthing else I’ve noticed on Xbox is say it’s 4:30 am I click save game then try to go to sleep it tells me you can’t sleep again so soon an I hadn’t even slept yet sounds like a glitch to me

1 Like

Maybe it’s somthing related to the current issues at hand

Hello, thank you for the response.
For my part the very first time it happened to me on the 12th day. So I waited for an update, hoping not to lose my early game. After the update I was unable to load this probably corrupted savegame. So I created a new game, at the beginning no worries, and on day 2, I save and the game crashes. Since unable to load the game. I play solo on Xbox One.

i remember the save banner on the left appeared for my two save

Yes an if ur quick with it when it freezes u can pull up the menu by pressing the button with the 3 lines an what’s weird at that point u can move around in the menu without it freezing however even if u hit return to main menu it still will never load again or if u leave the menu u can not get back to it because it’s solid frozen at that point .

I play on ps4 and this glitch just happened to me so I decided to Google it if there’s not a way to fix this [Removed by Clare - please see PM sent] because this happened to my 265day world do you know how much progress that is…

1 Like

@Clare I just ran into this issue, I got the tired status so I went to make a temporary shelter, and I made a camp fire to have cooked meat when I woke up. I went to save before sleeping and its froze right when the game saved notification popped up. I play on a ps4. also I dont know of this changed anything but I’m on day 23 when this happened, I was scavenging other islands for loot when i had to sleep and such.

Frosty since u play on ps4 can’t u redownload an older cloud save to get it back

Yea ive noticed this aswell mate i have to wait until the player says the quote im so tired i should sleep or something like that. Only then does it allow me to sleep

My game also Crashed when Saving it Right after killing The Giant Squid -AKA: Lusca The Great, I was so angry!!! :@ And from reading everyone’s comment saying my Saved Game was lost and I should begin to play the game From Scratch, I was really disappointed… :frowning:
All those gaming hours lost, highly frustrating!

Luckily I just fixed it!!! :slight_smile: On PS4 console, I tried turning it off and unplugging the electricity chord for a few minutes to reset Cache and also tried starting the game Offline but none of that worked; game kept getting stuck at the Cleaning Up start screen.

So… “on the PS4 titles menu, I went on top Of the game and pressed The Options Button on the Controller and to Upload/Download Saved Data and quickly noticed my last uploaded Online Saved Game in SLOT 1 was from a few hours earlier from the one that crashed in my Current System Storage SLOT 1 Saved Game, so I downloaded and replaced it with the Older One from My Online Storage and it Worked!!! I finally had access After many failed attempts to get in.

So I went ahead and killed The Giant Squid again!! Soon after that I headed back to my Home Island and I tried Quick Crafting some Lashing by Pressing and Holding R1 and noticed there was a Giant Squid Trophy to be built and Also the Airplane Propeller was there; So I built both of them and saved the game afterwards,

IT DID NOT CRASHED SAVING OR GOT STUCKED GETTING BACK IN FROM THE MAIN MENU!!!

Problem solved! I keep playing the game, Now heading to kill the Megalodon and Moray Eel and finish the game, hopefully it won’t crash again due to some other bug or whatever! smh!

2 Likes

@Frosty I feel your pain!! 142 days for me and I had a kick ■■■ base going! All for nothing… I don’t think I’ve ever been so disappointed in a game before… Now I’m having to start over in hopes it doesn’t do the same thing like I’ve been seeing on other thread posts :neutral_face::neutral_face:

1 Like

I tried that method. I even deleted/re downloaded the game. Still the same stuck in cleaning up screen and never loads into the world :sob:. It’s like this big patch update just screwed all console player saves

Hi all, thank you to everyone who’s shared the details of their experience so far. I’m currently going back through your comments and gathering information for the team. If I have any followup questions I will post them in another comment and tag you.

I know this is a very frustrating issue for everyone regardless of if you’re a few days in or have a well established save and again thank you for taking the time to share your details, they are very helpful in the investigation and hugely appreciated.

Following Update has been added to the top post:

UPDATE 29/11/2021
From reading through comments from players this issue appears to mainly affect single player saves and may occur if saving when a notification or comment from your character is present on the screen. (Replicated by Charlie1992 in their save)

Multiple loose items on the screen when saving appeared to be the cause for ASD in their save.

Workarounds
Players have reported success in downloading cloud backups from online storage and being able to access their saves again. This should be done quickly so corrupted saves are not backed up automatically.

Moving any loose items from around your shelter or sleeping back when saving so none are on screen has worked for ASD on their save to avoid the issue.

2 Likes

Hi,
I was playing with the old release of Stranded Deep, then I upgraded to the last release, I’ve got many issues during the saving game, two days ago the game freezed during the saving in Slot1, now the game stucks in the “cleaning” session. So, can I download the previous release to try to load my Slot1? Is it possible doing this for the PS4?
Thanks

Hi NB2021deep, welcome to the forums,

It is not possible to revert to an older version of Stranded Deep on console. If you have any backups on the cloud or externally, players have found downloading the backups has worked for them. The cloud backup systems on console work very quickly though so you would need to restore the backup before the glitched save was backed up automatically.

Please let me know if you recall what happened before your save was stuck in the cleaning up mode. Did you drop something into the ocean, save when a notification was on screen or recall anything else that may have been occurring while you saved?

Hi,
unfortunately I haven’t a cloud backup, I recall that after defeated the Megalodon I jumped on my raft and I saved using my bed, then I read “game saved” and all freezed, so I closed the app and I tried to load my Slot1 and it got stuck in the cleaning session. That’s all :frowning:
I exported the two files: SLOT1 and SLOT1.bin into an external USB pendrive, SLOT1 is 18.8 Mb and slot1.bin is 1Kb, I compared with SLOT2 and they have the same structure, the hex code shows many "0"s at the and of the file.

Hi NB2021deep,

Thank you for sharing what you recalled of your experience before this issue occured. If your Slot2 has a not been affected I would recommend keeping the backup of the file on USB so you can revert it if needed. However I do believe you need the .bin and profile files. Backing up to USB can allow you to redownload older versions of your save to your console, but players have mentioned that the issue has occured after reverting saves using backups so keeping a copy of the backups would be a good idea.

The instructions on the forums on how to share your save files with us for the team to investigate are the same steps for backing up your saves (Steps 1-10) if you want to make sure you have the correct files. [Save File Request]