[Known Issue][PS4/XB1] Stuck in "Cleaning Up" phase on load

How can such a bug, which clearly prevents you from playing, you cannot save otherwise the game crashes and therefore corrupts the save, can last for more than a month and a half? I can’t figure it out, after the interactions bug, this one persists and it looks like nothing has been done.

I have the issue as well since update 2078. (PS4)
Lost 2 Saves to this, one 20 hours, one 2 hours.

I had the “crashing on saving” issue (bluescreen) regulary before the update, like every 2nd to 3rd time I saved. This was my first game about 80+ hours in, heavily build base and raft. Was able to finish it.
Only missing the magnets trophy, cant finish it because of this issue.

I figure it has something to do with dropping Items into deep water (was my prefered method to get rid of unwanted items) - as someone already pointed out in the “crashing on saving” thread.

Today I lost a crate in deep water by accident - switching to knife without room in inventory - swam to shore, saved, game froze - now stuck on cleaning up screen when loading AGAIN.

[Edit: removed angry rant :slight_smile: ]

Glad I brought this game first I couldn’t play it for weeks after an update . Now it won’t load up nevermind fixing the game I want a refund, no where when I was buying it did it say this game is not finished

1 Like

I’ve read what other people have posted and can confirm that after dropping stuff into the ocean hoping to get rid of it. My game crashed mid save, sending the crates in front of me flying into mid explosion then freezing. I wish I would have known this was a problem before I tried to ditch a bunch of yucca fruit into the ocean on my main account of 149 days of survival. I mean I knew the game was buggy and leggy but I still love it. But now knowing any of my saves could just become lost really makes it hard to get into again. I reloaded a save point from day 66 from downloading my online account save… but that’s a looot of stuff gone now

PS5, version 2078, passive fauna, randomized/non-custom island, new save, crashed after saving on a new island.

Immediately after I saved all video froze though sound continued, then video came back for a second and opened the third person view of my character opening a compass I didn’t have in my inventory. Picture was a lot brighter as if the gamma had been boosted. I had to use the PS5 game switcher to quit the game I couldnt bring up the in game menu.

Game will now not load past cleaning up phase, I haven’t tried a new world to see if changing that would help however

Any idea when the dev team will fix this problem obviously this is very annoying can’t even play single player at all

1 Like

Just an observation . . .

It seems at least 90% of these reports are by PlayStation users. I might have seen one that said Xbox. Are there any Xbox users that have fallen victim? Seems less likely for series X?

Also the majority of these seem to say single player only. As Xbox saves even single player game saves to the cloud, Is there some difference between those and co-op game saves stored in the cloud?

Multiplayer seems to be working alright they just need to fix the single player for playstation

1 Like

Okay, I think I’ve responded to everyone’s recent posts below. if I missed you I’m sorry, please know I’m gathering information all the time and even if I don’t respond to you directly (I don’t often get the time to do so) I continue to gather information from Known Issues posts as players share it. Thank you to everyone who has shared the details of their experience so far.

Any updates from the team on this issue will be added to the thread and the main post above. If you experience this issue please give as much detail about your save and experience when commenting. Everyone plays the game differently and information from players from all types of play styles can be very valuable when narrowing down the cause of an issue.

@Cristian5456cm That’s fine, but please include a translation when posting using google translate or similar. Was this a single player game or multiplayer and do you recall what you did before this issue occurred.

@Danman, welcome to the forums, I’m sorry this issue is happening for you again, while a hotfix was released for this issue shortly after it was reported the team are aware it did not fix this issue for everyone. They are investigating this issue now and working to determine if it is the same issue or one that results in the same error. I am working to gather as much information as possible from players about their experience. Can you confirm for me if the recent incidents of this issue happened in single player or multiplayer saves and if you recalled traveling to new islands or what actions you took before saving? I understand this issue is very disheartening but any extra info you can provide is greatly appreciated.

@HazyKinkajou, welcome to the forums. Please confirm for me what platform you’re playing on, if this was single or multiplayer and if you are playing version 2078. Before adding your custom island, did you experience a crash or freeze when saving? Please also let me know if you recall what actions were taken before saving. I will make a note of your island change for the team but with other reports the issue generally appears to occur when saving.

@S0uhh, welcome to the forum. The team originally released a hotfix for this issue shortly after it was reported by the community which did reduce the number of reports of players being stuck in this loading phase from occurring. The team are now investigating why this is continuing to occur for some players after the update to 2078 and working to determine if it is the same issue as above or if it could be triggered by something else with the same result. Please let me know if you have experienced this issue, what platform you are playing on, if it was a single player or multiplayer save and if you recall what occured in the save before this issue happened. Any extra information from players based on their experience can be very helpful in resolving this issue.

@Joker, welcome to the forums, thank you for sharing the details on this issue. Thank you for also mentioning the dropping items in deep water, I’ll mention this to the team as they might wish to try to replicate this and will mention the loss of your crate.

@Don802117 I’m sorry to hear this issue has affected you too. Any extra information you can provide about your experience would be greatly appreciated by myself and the team investigating, including your platform, what version you were playing and if it was a single or multiplayer save. I do not have access to player accounts to mark games as refunded or player payment information, if you wish to request a refund you will need to do so via the store where you purchased the game, we cannot process them on our end.

@MitchTheMartyr17 welcome to the forums. Thank you for sharing that information, I will add this to my update regarding players dropping items into the ocean. I understand it’s disheartening to lose progress like this. Can you confirm for me what platform you’re playing on and if this was a single or multiplayer save?

@x.spookshowbaby.x, welcome to the forums. Thank you for sharing the details of your save and experience, I will note the visual details and the compass appearing for the team. Please confirm for me if this was a single player or multiplayer save. Did you receive the “Game Saved” notification on your screen and then the freeze, or did the freeze occur before this notification was shown, do you recall?

@Sub I do not have an update from the team regarding this issue yet, when I do I will update this thread and the main post above.

@xGnomeGrownx You are correct that there is a higher number of PS reports vs Xbox on the forums at the moment and I am keeping track of the ratio for the team. However there is also room for error there as this may be affected by player preferences for using the forums rather than the bug affecting a specific console more than another. The team will be investigating and testing on both consoles regardless. That is also an interesting point you’ve made about single player vs multiplayer. I have added this question to my list and will make a note for the team on this.

Love how there’s there’s welcome and such for everyone else. Whereas for me it’s meh not a peep. Even when you make a list of welcomes for people.
Shows how much my post was paid attention to.

Hi OldStoner,

As I mentioned in my post above I don’t always get a chance to reply to everyone directly in large threads depending on my work load, I’m sorry that your post did not get a direct response on the day, I was gathering a lot of info post update for the team when I saw it. It was not my intention for anyone to feel like their post carried any less weight than the others and you are of course welcome to the forums too. I appreciate you sharing the information you did and it was added to my report for the team the other day along with information shared by others.

Hi @Clare unfortunately ive hit the cleaning up error aswell currently on day 224 :sob: im on a custom island ive had no issues with the game since the last update all that time ago. Im currently on version 2078 and on xbox series X. This was a self inflicted mistake i know but as i was saving at the sleeping bag and accidentally hit the dashboard button on the controller and the game froze i quit restarted and yup stuck on the cleaning up error
Edit ive had no other problems with the game until now just to let you know

2 Likes

Only played in single player , i went a new island , but the bed was in my boat , i went to save the game ,then the game was freeze , y reset my ps5 , then when i was loading my game the screen only says cleaning but not enter in my progress never

1 Like

Well I was on the previous update and I got the save notification on the left corner but the game froze but it let me pause then i unpaused for a second and it let me move and froze again I started a new world tho but I’m getting the worst loot​:joy::joy:I had so much on my other world im on ps4 btw

1 Like

Hi Clare,

Yeah it was singleplayer, and honestly I wasn’t paying attention to what popped up on my left when I saved, but I definitely saw a banner, I think it froze whilst the banner came up so I’m assuming while saving. Again, I wasn’t really paying much attention

1 Like

I was on a PS4 solo save of version 2078. Prior to adding my custom islands there were seemingly no issues with the save - no freezing or crash. Nothing I can recall happened before saving.

2 Likes

This didn’t work for me but now that I’m seeing people say that it occurred when they tired to save in a new island this happend for me too

1 Like

@Clare another update i started a brand new save no custom islands everything set on normal animals on default ect and ive hit the cleaning up error again was on day 15 this time and my inventory was full to the point were it was telling ne my inventory was full on the bottom left hand side of the screen. I didnt even get the message to say the game was saved so this might be a factor were if something is on the screen it glitches out maybe ? Im going to start another save and try a few different things and will let you know the outcome oh and again still on xbox series X

1 Like

@Clare yup again hit the cleaning up glitch i tried 2 different saves and both glitched when something else is on the screen first save was on day 9 i drank an aloe salve and when it gave the prompt on the bottom saying (just what i needed) i tried to save and yea it glitched out. The second save I was on day 3 this time around i didnt eat anything so the game gave me the prompt (im so weak i need to eat something) and it glitched so this is defo a factor here with my gameplays atleast again everything on normal as if you was playing the game for the very first time no custom islands ect on both saves too and still on xbox series X sorry for the ammount of messages was just trying to get an understanding if it was a one off but unfortunatelyit wasn’t

1 Like

@Clare

Figured out what’s causing my saves to corrupt on 2078: on screen ground items while saving.

Platform info:

• Playstation 4 Pro
  • System software 9.00
  • Boost mode on
  • Game version 2078
  • Single player
  • Saving freezes game
  • Cannot reload save slot

Day 33, multiple isles explored

File created prior to game version 2078

No lag or frame drop

Used shelter at time of save

On save:

• loose item piles (logs, palm bunches) appear to have a collision event and typically get launched into the air
  • freezes after in game ‘save notification’

I did notice the following; a temporary solution:

• When this first occurred (11-25), I was able to restore a save from the previous day (11-24) via the PS+ auto back up. This restored file replaced the file on the console and was able to be used. I checked console’s notification centre and the 2078 update was auto installed on 11-24, only a few hours after I last saved the 11-24 file. Therefore the console backed up a playable save file that night as the save was made prior to the installation of 2078.
  • After restoring the 11-24 save file, I launched the game and played an hour and saved at the same shelter as before. Again, the game froze and the save was corrupt. I then restored the 11-24 save file from PS+ and relaunched the game with no issue.
  • I realized what I initially assumed to be a fluke corruption was something else, something repeatable. I thought perhaps the pile of logs (~18) I had next to my shelter was too large and caused some bug. I dragged all the logs the equivalent of a few metres away from my shelter and saved the game. Success.
  • I played another hour, went to save at the same shelter, and the game froze and the save was again corrupted.
  • I again restored the 11-24 file and began testing. I saved at multiple times of day, holding different items, different health statuses, campfire lit and unlit, a large number of various things I thought may have an effect. None of these changes had an effect.
  • What did have an effect is what I discovered after restoring my 11-24 file two dozen times. While saving, I could not have any ground items in view. After figuring this out, I confirmed this by restoring the same file and then dragging other loose ground items next to my shelter and having them in view while saving. This caused the game to freeze and corrupt the save file each time.

After concluding viewable ground items were the issue, I then turned in for the night (11-25) to resume my island survival another day. Only to launch the game an hour ago (11-27) and find the hero of my day - PS+ auto back up - had become the villain and backed up my corrupted save when I rested the console on 11-25 and overwriting the 11-24 file.

Perhaps the humour of this is my genius of making a USB copy of the corrupted save the first time I encountered this issue, but not a USB copy of the 11-24 file once I realized it was the only playable variant. 30 odd hours turned into unreadable ones and zeros. I’ll wait until another update before trying to escape the frying pan.

Hopefully this write up is of some help. If needed, I do also have another save file at day one, from a week or two before this all happened.

2 Likes