[Known Issue][PS4/XB1] Crashing when saving

Hi @fox-spooky-mulder0 thanks for mentioning it here, I see you posted a more detailed comment in EDenney’s thread so I’ll be going through that as soon as I can and responding to you there.

Hi @Michelolivera welcome to the forums
Can you elaborate on your crash experience and let me know what platform and version you are playing on? Any extra information can help the team in their investigation, especially if there are different triggers with the same result.

Me and my brother just started last night on PS4 and we cannot travel to new island. Whenever we get about halfway he gets kicked out of the game.

Hi Badcompany18, welcome to the forums,

When traveling to a new island, are you traveling together or in separate rafts? Do you have much with you on the raft(s) when travelling and have you notice a drop in FPS or a desync between what both of you see before the disconnect? (either when travelling or on the island beforehand)

@Clare

Clare, ganes still crashing at save. Really is no discernable rhyme to it. It has happened on a game where i had customs islands and a game where i didnt have custom islands. It has happened on games that i was on day 136 and games on day 7. Its happened when saving at tents and sleeping bags. Its happened at save during night and during day. After save freeze/crash, game gets stuck on “cleaning up”. This is probably the 10th game i lost. I made the mistake of thinking that the update patched this and used my save slot that had the 136 game on it and lost all those hrs of gameplay, its getting pretty aggrivating, I must say, to spend all these hrs on the game and then to lose them to glitches. Since late September its been one after another dev team fixes and another pops up after updates. It may be time to have a patch to add multiple save slots for one game, versus just one. This way we can at minimum go back to an older time in the same game versus having to reatart entire thing. Soooooooo frustrated, so much in fact im thinking of playing GTA Vice City Definitive Edition, and we all know what a piece of crap that tirned out to be. Please advise or encourage a faithfully Stranded Deeper that this is being remedied somehow and is not just a case of a dog chasing its tail.

Jared

1 Like

Im losing the will to live i lost my ■■■■■■■ 265 day world to this if there aint a way to fix this issue I’m [Redacted -Clare]

Hi @Jared0499,

Thank you for that information and feedback, the team are continuing to work on this issue and while I know some of the issues fixed may have reduced crashes for some the team are aware this is still an issue affecting a lot of players.

Please note I have a separate post for the “cleaning up” issue over here: [Known Issue][PS4/XB1] Stuck in "Cleaning Up" phase on load which spans the first time this was reported, the hotfix and now the issue occurring for people again in 2078. Any updates on this will be posted in that thread as I’m treating crashing and getting stuck on loading as two separate reports.

I’m sorry to hear your 136 day game was affected and completely understand your feeling aggravated after this occurred and know how disheartening it can be to lose progress to crashes too.

I will pass your feedback regarding multiple save slots onto the team also. As soon as any information is passed to me from the team on any of the issues reported by players I will let the community know immediately.

Hi Frosty,

I understand this issue is very frustrating but please be mindful of commenting around sensitive topics on the forums. If you wish to share more information the details of your experience may be valuable to the team investigating. By your comment it sounds like you are stuck in the cleaning up phase also. The known issues topic on this post is here: [Known Issue][PS4/XB1] Stuck in "Cleaning Up" phase on load

@Clare
Clare, I’m confused as to why the switch in where my issues are listed, but you are the boss.

The games in question crash during saves. When i restart the game and look at cartographer the starting center island is always red no matter which island i was saving on. When i try to load into game it is in “cleaning up” phase. But the issue starts with crashing during saves. Ironically I’m not having save issues on the online solo play games, knock on wood. Most likely because it is saved to an outside server and not locally to my system.

Thanks again for being on top of things and please relay to the team how much i love this game and want more.

Jared

Sorry for any confusion caused Jared0499! Because crashes when saving have the potential to be caused by multiple triggers or trickle down effects from other issues, I have separate reports for the team on them. Not all crashes may lead to the “cleaning up” phase hang but all “cleaning up” phase hangs appear to start with a crash or the game freezing. If you need further clarification on anything, please ask away and I’ll be happy to help as best I can :slight_smile:

I understand where you’re coming from with the link in your saves though between the crashes and eventual hang in that phase. I’ll make a note of this for the team and include the comment you made about the cartographer - this is a really interesting point and may provide a clue as to what’s happening in the save when this issue occurs. Thank you for mentioning it!

It does appear that most of the reports coming in are from Single Player saves. So it may only be those saves that are affected. Though this save data is stored locally on your system, it appears from what players are reporting that playing solo on a multiplayer save is saving. Solo private is much the same, I think the only major difference is the label maker does not work in multiplayer and your username will appear in the bottom left.

Thank you for your support and understanding while I gather all of this info and the team work to find the causes of both the crashes and the error that results in the “cleaning up” phase hang. I will of course pass your message on to the team :slight_smile:

@Clare, ok knock on wood, the new patch seems to have fixed the cleaning up issue.

But i am still crashing at least four to five times a day when saving, is this still an issue?

Jared

@Jared0499 - I’m glad to hear it - thank you for letting me know it has worked for you :slight_smile:

With regards to crashing, unfortunately this is still an issue the team are investigating and working to reduce and resolve the crashes. Crashing out of game or to an error screen when saving is a separate issue to the “Cleaning Up” phase issue which usually manifests as a freeze when saving.

If you notice anything in common with the crashes that could be a trigger for the crash, please do let me know. Like the “Cleaning Up” phase issue my theory is that due to different experiences from players there may be different triggers causing the same result.

@Clare

Sorry I’ve noticed no discernable pattern or situation when crash occurs.

A list of situations it has happened in (both created and normal islands)

• saving at tent or sleeping bag
  • at smoker removing or adding meat
  • hunting and spear misses (weird but now spears seem to float into outer space when over water)
  • chopping palm trees

@Clare

Well the the crash when saving is now hitting my multiplayer online game as well. Please tell me something is in the works to fix these crashes, it is randomly happening and i keep losing a lot of play time when i have to go back and start from last save point. Frustrated again because now itz solo and multiplayer modes. Today on miltiplayer it has crashed no fewer that 10 times minimum. Trying to save often but that just incrrases chance of crash.
Day 50
Mix of created and stock islands

A post was split to a new topic: Console Multiple issues

Hi @Jared0499
My apologies for the delay in getting back to you over the holidays. Thank you for the list of situations where this issue has occurred. I’m sorry to hear this issue has also hit your multiplayer save too, I understand how frustrating this is for players, and the team do too. It is my understanding the team is continuing to work on resolving things that can trigger crashes as well as stability in general. Unfortunately while I know the team is working on the next update, I do not yet have information on what it will contain, as soon as I do it’ll be posted in News and Announcements.

Hey @Clare

I love the game but it is constantly crashing.

System: ps4 and ps5
Version: 2079
Mode: multiplayer (i playing alone on Private)
Day: 204 (crashes happen since beginning)

my game crashes when:

-I save it at the tent or sleeping bag.

-i save a new island in the cartographer or when i replace an island and save it on the map.

-I switch ingame from first person to third person(the very first time today after 3 savings).

-I return to the main menu and then reload(after cartographer).

All these crashes mostly happen after I run the game for 30-40 minutes. ingame wile saving at any time of day, weather or place.

I can usually save 3-4 times before the game crashes when saving.
if the game did not crash the 5th time it was saved, then 100% crash afterwards when I use the Kartographer as described above.

from my point of view the problem is maybe playtime and/or saving-lag based. freshly started it works fine but after 30-40 minutes the trouble begins. I can now foresee the crashes and mostly they happen when I expect them.
I also cleared the cache but it didn’t help.

it is very exhausting to fight with so many crashes. especially when you lose everything you’ve done from the last save till then. I hope that my experience can help to solve the problem.

I’m from Germany so sorry if my English is probably not that good;)

Hi Nobby, thank you for sharing this information based on your experiences. I completely understand how tiring these crashes can be and really appreciate you sharing what you have found to be possible triggers in your save.

I shall pass these details on to the team along with your comment about where you believe the problem is occuring for you based on gameplay time and lag.

Thank you again for sharing that info and your English very good and perfectly understandable, please do not worry about that!

2 Likes

@Clare
Summary - I get the blue screen error upon saving at least 4 times per day. It only happens if I wait just a little too long to save while I’m building and moving things around. I try to save once every ten minutes or less, more so if I’m in the middle of building a large structure, or organizing a lot of items. I have a pretty significant amount of items loose on the ground. Should I try to keep most items in crates? Is it the “collision” thing that causes an overload of data? If so, maybe having loose items spread out would be better, as opposed to trying to stack them up(which makes them glitchy until they settle).
P. S. - this is the best game I’ve played since GTA 5 came out, I’m really rooting for you guys to be able to continue improving and updating the game! Keep up the good work and if you need specific details from me, just ask!

Seed - 51796566

Settings - Changed animals to passive mode and removed clouds. No custom islands.

Steps - Wait more than 10 minutes to save, or build/move a large quantity of items before saving. I only save while looking down directly at shelter/sleeping bag, making sure not to have any items in view and not holding any item in my hands.

Extras - I only play single player. Crashing began very early on, maybe within the first 10 game days. Tried reloading game/file and tried clearing PS4 cache with no improvement.

***Last thing, different topic but it’s minor, one of my clay flasks says “empty empty empty empty empty clay flask” and seems to add another “empty” every time it is fully depleted.

Hi LilB13, please see my responses to your post here: [PS4][2079][Save Game Crash] Game Crashes While Saving PS4

No need to post the same in multiple locations, I’ll get to a single report as soon as I can! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi, I wanted to report that the latest update [2083] did not fix this issue (crashing when saving) and it is still persisting (though, I understand that based on the patch notes it was also not intended to address that issue in this patch).

It is very hard and cumbersome to “work around” this issue. I need to close down the application completely and freshly load into the game very frequently to avoid most of these crashes.

Also I am back to the crashing when even approaching my home island. I am hardly able to play the game unless I would be willing to abandon my home island (which I am not) and just finish the game by escaping.

Is there an ETA for a fix for this issue?

Thanks.