Wood container shuffle on saves

First want to say the game is great. I purchased at console launch and just came back to playing again a couple of weeks ago. I see the lag is a work in progress so won’t go into that. I’m having a game breaking issue with the container shuffle after saves. I noticed it has been mentioned, although, and a read one post it was supposed to be fixed. It definitely is not. I have tried two characters, and as soon as I pass 100 days my wood containers starts shuffling, double slotting, or in rare moments vanishing all together never to be found. It renders the container shelves unusable to me so I am currently employing the old stack on beach strategy which of course causes lag, but a livable workaround. I was hoping to hear some good news that the container shelves will be fixed soon on console. It is a near game breaking moment when you save your game and the containers with your raft gear have double slotted back on your home island shelves and you must rush home to find your stuff to continue playing.

Hi Feral_Penguin85, welcome to the forums.

Thank you for reporting your experience of this issue. I had alerted the team that the fix did not appear to work for players so that they can reinvestigate and I will add your comments to that report too.

Please let me know:

• Were these shelves on a raft or on land?
  • Did you notice anything in common between the ones that moved and the ones that vanished?
  • Players have reported if after loading in the shelves are given more time to load and are not interacted with, the crates may pop back into place. Have you experienced this at all or tried waiting to see if they move back? (I know this is not ideal gameplay wise, but it would be good to know for the team investigating.)
  • Lastly, can you confirm for me if this is happening in version 2079 (Current version number displayed in bottom left hand corner of the main menu) for you and if your saves were created in older versions or more recently such as in 2078/2079?

Same issue here. Great game but this is super frustrating.

The only workaround I have found is to empty all container shelves before saving, which completely defeats their purpose on land.

I also noticed as previously stated that it happens on exit and subsequent load, but it has also happened during gameplay after save with no exit and reload.

Note: When the teleporting/moving crates issue occurs it is not limited to shelves only but having shelving seems to trigger it. Crates stacked on the beach or in structures (not on shelves) also move shift, misalign and/or fall.

Please let me know:

• Were these shelves on a raft or on land?
    I have reproduced the “teleporting crates” issue with container shelves previously in structures and on a raft (I got rid of the ones in structures so cannot confirm still occurring in v2079)

• Did you notice anything in common between the ones that moved and the ones that vanished?

No teleporting is much more common for me. I have usually found the missing crates but in very different locations. My crates are all renamed. Sometimes if I use the labeler to rename that crate again the problem moves to other crates.

• Players have reported if after loading in the shelves are given more time to load and are not interacted with, the crates may pop back into place. Have you experienced this at all or tried waiting to see if they move back? (I know this is not ideal gameplay wise, but it would be good to know for the team investigating.)

No but the teleporting crates make my raft sink and cause intense frame rate lag until shelves are emptied. I then save the game with shelves empty and it resolves.

• Lastly, can you confirm for me if this is happening in version 2079 (Current version number displayed in bottom left hand corner of the main menu) for you and if your saves were created in older versions or more recently such as in 2078/2079?

Yes occurring in v2079 and yes originally started game in older version.

Hi NgtHwk1 - Thank you for sharing all that information. I really appreciate you taking the time to share your experience and for answering my questions too. I’ll inform the team that you’ve seen this happen with all crates. The fact that having shelves seems to be a trigger that starts it for you is interesting and I’ll be sure to highlight this for them.

If you notice anything else, please do not hesitate to let me know! Thank you again :slight_smile:

Sorry @NgtHwk1 One followup question that struck me when I was adding your comment about the relabeling to my report… Do any of your crates use special characters or punctuation in the names or do you stick to letters and numbers?

Hi Clare, no special characters nor numbers just alpha characters.

Thanks for your help.

1 Like

PS4 - Having same issue with the crate containers on my raft. At first, when i pushed L1 to open the crate it wouldn’t stay open long enough to select something inside. Then it got to the point where there were crates floating next to the crate containers then when I took all the crates off the raft and tried to reorganize them some would let me attach. Especially the middle section.

It hasn’t run without at least one really bad glitch like this yet, at least in my short time playing (September?). This makes shelves useless both at sea and on land, and I usually use A LOT on both.

I’d rather this, than something like the cleaning up glitch. I never experienced it, but whenever it was active, you had to either take a risk of losing everything anytime you try and save, or just not play for weeks on end. Super frustrating that I’ve never once been able to just play the game the way it was intended, like even for a little while… :joy: I feel like the game would have had a much longer lasting large following, had it gotten sorted it out early on. I decided long ago that if I lose any of my build saves, I’m done with SD.

I try not to be a complainer or be harsh, but sometimes you feel ripped off. Sorry Beamteam if I sound harsh, love the game, but I just really want it to actually work… :joy:

I just ignore that shelves exist for now when I play, but it slows down progression.

2 Likes

Thankfully I haven’t had any issues with container shelves, except when I had a lot of loose items and containers laying around (though virtually nothing compared to what some have accomplished). I had a few vanish on me that were full of cooked meat, and one that my guest had placed eggs in when he didn’t yet know they would spoil. I have 18 containers on shelves on my raft (survival based items) and only 6 in my house on container shelves (rare loot), another 6 stacked neatly on metal shelves attached outside my house (filled with unwanted rawhide). And 3 or 4 laying around my camp that I use for temporary items to keep the ground more clean. Also perhaps worth noting, I haven’t used custom islands to gather more than the map originally allows. But playing like I do essentially eliminates the purpose of the cartographer, and severely limits gameplay for those wanting to build these beautiful structures and gather a massive amount of items, so I can certainly see the frustration from that perspective as it definitely degrades the overall experience for them. Hopefully they will figure out a way to increase the capacity limits, which seem to be the cause of most or maybe all of the issues players are experiencing and have experienced. With the current state, I could not forsee how a creative mode could even be an option without being able to raise these limits somehow, if that is even possible. Especially on older consoles, but even on the newer ones as well.

I really do think that unfortunately the orginal multiplayer update caused more data to be used per save file or something happened, to the point that for some reason the single player saves were no longer capable of supporting the number of items and other circumstances that players had accomplished, that had worked just fine for them before. Which is very unfortunate, because I sincerely love this game. And the multiplayer update thoroughly revived my interest, after I had stopped playing several months before by myself. I hadn’t even finished the game in single player, partially because I noticed online when looking up tips that the PC had multilayer and we didn’t. Even though I understood the limits of the platforms were completely different and almost all games are more expansive on PC at first, I still just wanted to wait. I definitely don’t want them to roll back the multiplayer update, but that seems to be where most of these issues started (even though they mostly affect single player saves for some odd reason). I agree that it has probably caused a lot of people to abandon hope, though I am still as patient as ever. Even if I lose everything I would still start again, but everything to me is mostly just time spent and a few cool things accomplished which could easily be replicated in another attempt. Plus I play on permadeath, so I am no stranger to loss. For others, however, the loss of such a massive amount of building and collection of items is much more devastating. I wish nothing but the best for the future of this game and it’s fanbase.

Much love, fellow survivors!

@NgtHwk1 - Thank you for letting me know

@webservant01 - I’m sorry to hear this is happening for your too, I’ll add your details to my report also, including the difficulty in keeping the crate open before this occured.

@LordRavenBlack - Thank you for your feedback, I understand how things like this can affect gameplay and where you’re coming from.

@ArmchairTuna66 - I believe the vanishing crates are separate to this issue, as I had another report on that submitted to the team. Thank you for sharing those details and your feedback too, however please be careful about bringing bug reports too far off topic when sharing feedback.

I apologize, was just trying to express my sympathies and respectfully agree with others. I shall try to avoid such comments in the future. Probably mostly information that wasn’t helpful, as the team may already be aware of any such possibilities. Mainly wanted to point out that playing limited, as I do, has prevented any container or container shelf issues from occurring in a long time (since the very beginning days of multiplayer).

Side note: Day 304 on hard multiplayer (10th on global Xbox leaderboards) I only mention this to inspire others to take on such a pursuit in the interest of friendly competition. On permadeath :slight_smile: :herb:

Good day to all!

1 Like

@Clare

I too have had the same issue as webservant01 of crates not opening when the teleporting issue is occurring. It seems to correspond to the frame rate lag and resolves when speed resumes.

In some original descriptions of this issue players thought crates were duplicating, I have found only the teleporting/shuffle to occur not duplication.

I do use the cartographer and repeatedly create an island to pillage for massive resources, so my number of crates is very high.

1 Like

This issue is also happening for me, My container shelves are mostly on land but i have maybe 4-5 on my raft. After saving and reloading my raft and containers on my island will shuffle around, and almost all of the shelves where things are jumbled are rendered useless, wasting a lot of my planks trying to rebuild these so they work again just to have it occur again after saving and exiting. I am on a PS4 and on version 2079 and the issue does not fix after letting the game sit for a while. Very sad , will be stacking until there is an update made for container shelves and crates.

While I have also experienced the shelving glitch, it’s not that much of a game breaker as I have been able to shelve and save as long as I do not exit to menu. Upon arriving at a new island I always unload the crates to the beach base I set up. I harvest and fill the crates, and only load up my raft when I’m ready to leave. The shelves still work and I make it home, unload all my booty - then I save and exit to work in cartographer or exit to dashboard. I have forgotten one or two crates on occasion, which means they will glitch out their shelves, if that happens then the shelf needs to be knocked out and replaced. At least for me, the replaced shelves work no problem. And this has only happened to my container shelves on my raft, all my shelving on land has been normal. I am on day 230 in multiplayer on hard. Good luck out there :desert_island:

1 Like

@NgtHwk1 - thank you for that additional information. I’ll include it in my notes. It’s interesting to know you’ve also experienced this lag before the issue occurs, this will be something the team will need to look out for when working to replicate and resolve this issue.

@libby_5573 - welcome to the forums. I’m sorry to hear this is happening for you too. Thank you for reporting the details of your experience. [Edit, missed the number of crates you have on your raft and saw it when rereading your post] Can you confirm for me how many crates you have on your island in addition to those on your raft?

@xGnomeGrownx - thank you for that info and for sharing what works for you to workaround this issue.

Everyone - I remember it being mentioned before that a player found a crate will only go back into a slot it had glitched out of. Have any of you had any success with this are the shelves always a complete write off?

Totally felt ripped off more than once with some of these bugs. Nothing wrong with a little honesty.

1 Like

On reloads my containers also become,Hmm Unshelved.

The container on the bottom right is now the 4th container on the top left. :thinking:

Also I can’t put a container now back on the bottom right. To fix I must rebuild the shelves to get them to reset and hold 3 containers again.

Note: If I sail away that top container will remain there floating in the air unless I grab it out of the sky.