[PS4][2071][Gameplay] Can't interact with most things

Thanks all! Commenting so I know I’ve read up to this point.

Hello,

Just adding my game status to this thread to hopefully help resolve the issue.

Roughly 90 days in to the game (this is the only game I have going).

Have explored roughly 20 islands and was just stripping one when I saved last night. I have loaded up today and played for a couple of hours with no issue. I then sailed to another island on my raft to start stripping the wrecks. I must have visisted the island before as I had a shelter and camp fire already built. I was probably on this island for another 15 minutes or so killing Giant Crabs and collecting all the coconuts. At this point I saved (I save pretty frequently due to frequent crashes and not wanting to lose too much progress each time.)

It is when I continue from this save point that I can highlight items and interact with them. Even at this point, when picking up Fibrous Leaves I do not get the ‘pick up’ sound. I can collect about 4 Fibrous Leaves (this is just to indicate how long interaction works), but then when I return to the shelter to save, I do not get the prompt and cannot save. It is also at this point that all objects stop being highlighted when I point at them, and I cannot interact with anything.

I also tried reloading the save, and instead of harvesting Fibrous Leaves, went straight to a wreck that had barrels. When I release the barrels and try to build a raft barrel base, the game won’t let me as it says there are not 3 barrels available (even though I am sitting in the middle of all 3). I can drag the barrels but the ‘BARREL’ tag only appears at a very specific point on the the barrel as I move around it.

I will check the time of day when I reload the save but it is at sunrise. Checked, it is 06:30 AM. But on this save reload, I cannot interact with anything straight away (so walk from shelter to nearest ‘item’ and cannot interact. Checked on kindling bundle and young palm tree).

I have rebuilt the PS4 database, and also deleted and re-installed the game, but this has made no difference.

Answering questions from other posts:

• From your description this sounds like a preexisting save that was updated, is that correct? Yes
  • Were you already on the new island when you loaded the game or did you travel there? Travelled
  • When you first arrived, could you interact without issue? Yes
  • Do you recall if while on the island your character was injured or if there was particular action performed that may have triggered this issue to occur? No particular status effects or actions
  • If it occured after some gameplay, do you recall roughly how long it was before you noticed the issue on this island? Hard to say but definitly a couple of hours (lets say 2 hours). But this was from loading a save today, I cannot say how long it has been since I applied the game update to 2071.

Time of day: 06:30 AM
Weather: No storms or rainfall. It’s at sunrise and the weatherman says it looks like the day will be hot and sunny.
Playing on PS4.

My gut says that this bug happens after a set amount of time.

I say that becuase I had a save which I loaded and was able to run around for a couple of minutes interacting with items. Once I experienced the bug, I kept reloading and kept getting the same issue. So the last time I loaded the save, I ran around and collected 4 Fibrous Leaves quickly (so I could build a raft barrel base), and ran back to the shelter to save, which I could at this point.

Now when I reload that save, I cannot interact with anything from the get go (so looks like I saved ‘just before’ the bug would kick in)

Hope that helps. As others have said, cannot play the game as it is now.

Hi Clare,

This issue has also occurred for me, multiple times across a 2 in-game day period. Initially at around 6am, then abating for a few hours. Eventually however, the issue slowly returned, allowing interaction at first with everything, and then no interaction at all with multiple items.

After dropping an item, I can pick it back up normally at first, though it eventually becomes like the others. Certain items, such as my raft, I cant interact with at all, no matter the angle and regardless of crouching.

Throughout the 2 days I remained unharmed, though I was suffering from sunstroke (sidenote: raft canopy not working) miday through day 1, and the weather remained clear skied and sunny, with no rainfall. The bug persisted across two islands, one previously explored, the other newly discovered.

This is a pre-existing save at 38 days, used single player on an Xbox One X.

The bug itself is game breaking, as I now cannot use my raft and I cant access storage containers.

Perhaps unrelated - when spears are thrown into the sand, perhaps 2/3 times they just dissapear, and when loading a save made with a sleeping bag indoors, I load in stood on top of the structure the sleeping bag was placed within.

Le jeu est injouable dans c’est conditions, impossible d’interagir avec TOUT les objets quand on change d’îles , la mise a jour a complètement détruit le jeu

Translation added by Clare using Google Translate
The game is unplayable under these conditions, impossible to interact with ALL objects when changing islands, the update has completely destroyed the game

Thank you for taking the time to share all those details and answer my previous questions @Reebont - as your save loads just before this issue starts, would it be possible to get a copy of your save for the team to have a look at?

@Phoenix420 you also mentioned having a save right before it starts would you be willing to send us your save too?

Please be aware that we cannot fix and return individual saves, but your saves would be used by the team to help them in finding a fix for the community as a whole.

If you’re happy to send a save my way, please use the following steps to access the file:

1. Turn on PS4
  2. Insert an External USB Drive into one of the 2 USB ports on the front of the PS4.
  3. In the main menu, go to “Settings”
  4. Click on “Application Saved Data Management”
  5. Select “Saved Data in System Storage”
  6. Select “Copy to USB Storage Device”
  7. Select Stranded Deep
  8. Select all files and press “Copy”
  9. Wait until transfer is complete
  10. Remove External Drive
  11. Zip up all files copied to USB drive including “.bin” and “Profile” files
  12. Email us the Zip files to contact@beamteamgames.com or, if unable to send the files via email you can upload the files to your Dropbox or other cloud file service and email us the link.

Please put your Forum user name in the email so I can match it up to your report and if you could ping or PM me here once you’ve sent them so I can grab them for the team that’d be awesome!

Thank you :slight_smile:

Hi Survivor101,

Thank you for sharing this information. Do you recall roughly how long the gaps between the issue occurring/resetting were? Would they have been consistent like a cycle or did they feel random?

The issue with the canopy is one I’ve submitted to the team today and I’ll note that you’ve experienced it too.

With regards to the other issues, throwing spears and they vanish, and the sleeping bag issue, would you mind creating a new bug report on the forums as I’d like to investigate these further but don’t want them to get lost in this massive thread! - Thanks!

Hi Manolo,

I understand how frustrating this issue can be. If there’s any extra info you can share about your experience of the issue and gameplay when it occurred for you I would really appreciate it - every bit of information can be useful while the team works to resolve this.

Also just as a note, I added a translation to your post. We ask players to post in English, or if they cannot speak English to use a translator or to include a 1:1 translation with their original post. This is because the staff are all English speakers and need to be able to read what users are posting - Thank you for your understanding.

Interact bug is on also xbox!!

No worries Clare, Ill report those ASAP :smiley:

Theres been no noticable pattern with the bug that Ive been able to discern. It seems sporadic and theres no noticable trigger.

1 Like

I unfortunately lack the means to zip or transfer a save file, sorry. I’m not sure if it is triggered by elapsed time, I may try to start a new file and build a little then move to another island to gather. I had only built the most basic shelter on both islands prior. I did test going back to my starting island/base and noticed that while most items I could not interact with, there was some that weren’t bugged even in piles of the same item. Also noticed while the bug is active, recently dropped items can be picked up for about 2 or 3 seconds before the highlight and action prompt just disappears. Also noticed that an item you can interact with dragged into others you can’t interact with to disrupt placement can cause them to become “active” for a time again before they bug out and become decorations again, but does not work on the smoker where meat is stuck or other things that can’t be moved by collision. I hope this helps, and I hope someone can get a similar save file to the devs. If I find anything else on this I’ll report it, going to test some things on it in a few minutes. I had no weather changes short of a single storm probably an in game day prior to the issue.

here’s a video of what’s been happening

1 Like

@Clare

I couldn’t see how to PM you but I have sent the save file.

1 Like

No worries @Phoenix420 Thank you for all those extra details on what you’ve observed, please do keep me updated if you notice anything else.

@Reebont - that’s awesome, thank you so much for sending the file along, I can confirm I have the save file and I’ll forward it onto the team!

@Ghadente - Thank you for taking the time to record and upload that video, I shall forward this onto the team also.

1 Like

Hi new to the forum but joined to say I’m also having this issue directly after the new update on PS4. I’m on day 12 and have only a few days ago bought the game so I’m pretty darn unimpressed!

Home island seems fine I can do everything there but as soon as I get out of my “square” I can’t interact with my sail. Random things can be interacted with like a cod and my rudder but anything higher than the ocean seems out of action; can’t use my boxes, can’t open doors, can’t poke the nipping crabs etc. The weather is fine no rain or storms. I can save and sleep on my home island.

Game is rendered unplayable.

Testing on that same file, no interaction based bug. I sat in one spot and observed, could not exactly pinpoint time but around 00:40 I suddenly have to be right on top of things to interact, struggled with my pile of sticks even crouched. The only item I can’t interact with at all is my shelter, this is the second island but it seems with last nights trip back this glitch may render all stationary items impossible to interact with, which would explain sails since they are technically “mounted” and stuck in place? If there is a way to edit placement of stationary items that I’m too noob to be aware of, that may fix it, to my knowledge there is no way to move camp fires and shelters without destroying them though. The specific timing of the glitch without any noticeable interaction trigger makes me think it has a doomsday countdown for every save file now, considering the number of people I see experiencing this. Going to start a new file and play to about the same time, day 5 at 00:40. Will try to repeat previous actions, only sleep once, travel to 2nd island halfway through day 3, etc and I’ll report what I find with that. A swarm of bats went overhead when the glitch triggered though. Considering recent world events, definitely check the bats… Can’t trust them.

1 Like

Update (though the devs have probably already replicated the issue).

It looks like the height (from sea level lets say) of the ‘object’ is important. I ran around my current save/island to see if anything was consistant.

Kindling - Cannot drag or get the interact prompt when stood next to it BUT if I crouch and look directly down on to it, I can pick it up/drag.
Small Palm Tree - Same as the Kindling but with an exception…I cannot interact with them at all the further they are from sea level.
Dead Giant Crab - Had to finagle a bit to get it to highlight then I could drag it. Never got the prompt to skin it. BUT when I dragged it to the top of my current island (so further from sea level), I could not get it to highlight at all.
Trunks - Could not highlight them BUT there was one fallen trunk closer to sea level which I could highlight.
Yukka Tree - Could not highlight at all, not even when crouching.
Shelter - Again, I had to crouch and look practically straight down to get the prompt.
Creating a raft barrel base - I could cut the barrels free from a ‘normal’ distance but then I had to move further away from them for the game to recognise that they were in my vicinity to build the raft base.

Edit 1

Coconuts - Had a pile right down on the shoreline. Could interact with them whilst standing. So all normal. Dragged a coconut about ‘halfway’ up my island. I could only then interact with it by crouching. Dragged it to the top of my island and couldn’t interact with it at all, even when crouching.
Most objects on my raft. I could only get the interact prompt when looking down (so like at the base of the sail pole when standing close it, looking down on the motor, rudder, or anchor. Bottom and middle container on my container shelf, had to be stood right next to the shelf looking down. Top container was very difficult to highlight.

3 Likes

Can confirm, just dragged a dead giant crab, a palm log, and life raft on to bushes for testing and the bushed items I can’t highlight at all anymore. Must be why I couldn’t use shelter, which I found I can at the lower back end of it, but it’s mostly on slightly higher ground

@Equi - Thank you for that info, it only occurring outside of your own island is interesting. Did the issue start on another island for you or did it occur as you were trying to leave your home island? If you can make it back to your home island after this triggers, does it start to affect that island too?

@Phoenix420 - thank you for keeping me updated. It’s actually interesting you mention the bats… considering the bats and seagulls fly over on a sort of loop I’m going to mention that to the team. Oh, and thank you for confirming Reebonts observations!

@Reebont - This actually matches up with someone who said they needed to crouch to interact with some items. The connection to sea level is very interesting - thank you for letting me know what you found :slight_smile:

@Clare - So I’ve been exploring more islands and I am now able to interact with everything on the new islands but only for about 5 minutes before it bugs out(then stays bugged even if I return later). It happened to all 7 islands I explored this morning. Only got hit with 1 storm, no poison, no sleeping or saving. Also tried swimming to a couple of those islands instead of using a raft and had the same issue.

Shout out to the team for working on a solution and yourself for addressing everyone having issues. I know people are upset but obliviously this wasn’t intentional.

1 Like

I am going to try to sail home now to see if the issue is consistant from the island I am saved at. My home island is 2 islands from me, so I’ll stop at the middle one to check too. Gimme 15 minutes (I have a bit of a barge going on!)

1 Like