[Known Issue][PS4/XB1] Stuck in "Cleaning Up" phase on load

Just happened to me after I mined some clay and it fell down into the deep ocean. The clay deposit was half hanging over the cliff, so I had no chance to stop it falling. This is the second save file that I have had in this game do this in the past 2 days, I started this save after my last one did this but I have no idea why my last one did this as nothing dropped into the deep ocean at all. Very frustrating.

1 Like

@Meeleepit - Welcome to the forums. Thank you for sharing the details of your experience, I’ll add this to my secondary trigger report for the team.

@OIF1ADVET - The team has confirmed that dumping items into the deep sea is one of the triggers for this issue so I would recommend avoiding it for now while they test the fix. However I understand there are different things that may cause this, not just items lost at sea. Some players have mentioned losing objects through the ground as well. I’ll make a note of it occurring for you without traveling and it happening on the first save for you and while some other players have mentioned it it’s not a very common report.

With regards to your workaround, the team asked me to confirm that it was definitely passive you set the wildlife to and that you didn’t turn them off. This has a different effect to what I originally thought and they’d like to research it further. I know you mentioned switching it to passive in your most recent post, but would you mind confirming it for me officially so I can say you’ve confirmed it to the team?

Thank you so much for continuing to share this information, this is very helpful and I’ll pass this onto the team investigating too. If there’s anything else you wish to add, please do not hesitate to do so, all info is hugely appreciated while the team tackles this issue!

@andersoncbrz - thank you for confirming this for me.

@quintennyson - welcome to the forums. Thank you for sharing the details of your experience. I’ll note your lost clay for the team testing this issue. I understand how frustrating this issue is. The team are continuing to investigate other potential triggers outside of dropping in the ocean. If you happen to recall anything about your first save, please do let me know.

Hello Clare, I to was having problems with things falling thru the ground, but not since the 1.12 update. Yes, Ma’am I put the wildlife on passive. The save I’m currently playing the game has frozen twice in eleven in game days while trying to save. I wanted to see if it would happen more than once after unlocking it, and it did. I go to options change wildlife to passive exit out of options the game goes back to normal I then save then switch the wildlife back to default. Next time it freezes I’m going to try to change a different option to see if I get the same effect with it unlocking. I’m also wondering if I leave the wildlife on passive will it freeze. But it’s not the same playing without the sharks. LOL The times the game froze I had not dumped anything in the ocean and everything I did not want to lose were in crates on shelves or picked up in my inventory there was very little junk on the ground. Thank You Clare, I hope this was helpful. :slight_smile:

Mine has just froze again playing on PS4 latest version on solo made it about 40 days just sorting my raft . Went on sure and saved and the save froze after the banner came up . Keeps happening just wasting hours of game play ! Not happy at all!!!

Hi Don802117, when you’re game freezes try going to options then turning wildlife to passive, I’ve been doing this. It unlocks the game but most stuff not secured will fly everywhere possibly losing stuff. I’ve been keeping all my stuff in crats on shelves. This has worked well for me however I am looking forward to a patch.

a lot like a few others i think i read i had the refined knife and the refined axe in my toolbelt alongside the refined hammer and refined pick, it may not have been the clay going over the edge that caused it, but from memory i had nothing else that would’ve triggered it.

I will be following up on previous comments as soon as I can, but for now I have a short update from the team. (and I’ll add this to the top post too)

UPDATE 2021/12/08
The hotfix for the Dumped/Lost Items trigger for the “Cleaning Up” issue is with PlayStation and Microsoft for approval. As with previous hotfixes, as soon as they’re approved they’ll be released so they may appear for different regions and systems at different times.

As a reminder this hotfix is only one of the triggers for this issue and the team are continuing to investigate others reported by the community. Unfortunately due to the nature of the bug, previously affected saves are not restored with this fix, but it is designed to prevent this trigger from causing the issue again. This fix should cover both items lost accidentally through the ground and items lost / intentionally dropped at sea.

Thank you to everyone who has reported their experience of this issue so far, this has greatly helped the team in tracking down this trigger quickly and is continuing to help with other triggers. They team also wishes to say thank you to the community for your understanding and support while they work on this.

2 Likes

Just downloading it for PS4 now. Big thanks to yourself and the team!

1 Like

Thank you for pushing out the hotfix!

For me the game hasn’t frozen yet on saving (I can even move around like crazy while saving and it doesn’t freeze - although I am weary this isn’t a good thing to do while saving, but the game shouldn’t let me move/look around at all while saving in the first place…)

Hey I downloaded the Hotfix on my PS4 but when I try to start the game on day 40 I just can start from new again. Does anyone else has this problem?

I mean the save slot says “day 40” but when I click on it it starts from the beginning

Hi Josh, welcome to the forums, the save slot days refer to the single player in that slot. Are you starting a Single Player game or a Multiplayer Game? Multiplayer days can be seen in the pause menu from within the multiplayer game. If you had a save in that slot and can no longer access it, please submit a new bug report with as much info as possible as it is difficult to track other reports in this thread.

Hi Clare, I posted it here in this thread because I had the same issue with stucking in that “cleaning up” phase and after I downloaded the update I had this new problem.
I try to load my save slot in a Single player game and I see “40 days” in the menu but when I click on “continue” there is this menu from the very start where you choose difficulty and so on.
I thought this topic belongs also in this thread because first I had the same issue

Hi Josh, I understand, thank you for confirming. Is the save you are trying to load the one that had the “Cleaning Up” load issue or is this a seperate save that you were able to load without issue? I have sent a message to the team about this too to alert them.

Hi Clare I just had one saving slot because I thought you can just have one for one game.

Thanks for comfirming that for me Josh. As this update does not fix the saves stuck in the “cleaning up” phase, but instead prevents the issue from occuring again, there is a chance that this is a side effect of the hotfix. I am waiting to hear back from the team on this and will let you know what they say as soon as I can.

@Clare

Sure you got this already but does patch 1.13 fix the sane and cleaning up issues?

Jared

Hi Clare,
thanks for asking the team. It would be very nice if there would be a solution for that because otherwise I would have to start from the beginning :frowning:

Hi Jared0499, this hotfix prevents the issue triggering when items are dumped / lost at sea or lost through the ground. Unfortunately it cannot fix saves already affected but will prevent this trigger from occuring. The team are still investigating other triggers as not every player reported lost items or having dumped items in the sea. At the moment this appears to affect only single player saves so the safest thing at the moment may be to play in private solo multiplayer. However save types cannot be converted and there is the catch the multiplayer does not have the labelmaker function. - I hope this helps to answer your question :slight_smile:

UPDATE 2021/12/09
PlayStation approved the hotfix yesterday and many of you have already seen it appear on your systems.
Xbox has now approved their version of the hotfix and Xbox players will start to see it rolling out today.