[Known Issue][PS4/XB1] Stuck in "Cleaning Up" phase on load

@jonriggs - welcome to the forums. Thank you for sharing these details. Though there is a chance the losing of your fishtrap is unrelated because you were able to save a few times before this issue occurred, I have still made a note of it for the team in my report just in case. Thank you for mentioning it.

@AdriaNova3742 welcome to the forums, I understand your frustration. Thank you for your feedback regarding this issue. As soon as the fix is released there will be an announcement in the News and Announcements section. If I receive any new updates from the team before then, I’ll update the main post above.

@OIF1ADVET - Thank you for sharing those details, this is an interesting workaround you have found and the effect of loading back in with items scattered equally so. I will inform the team and add this as a potential workaround to my top post. Do you usually dump items in the deep ocean in your game or have you noticed it occurs often after exploring new islands in established saves? When your game “unlocks’’ are you entering the menu while the gameplay is frozen? Can you then load these saves at a later date even though a lot of your items are scattered? Any extra information you can share about your workaround would be greatly appreciated.

@Elessar8 - I’m glad you had backups for your save. When you saved near your campfire, was it lighting / cooking anything and would you have potentially received a notification about it at the same time you were saving?

(Edits: Some spelling and formatting)

Ok had the same bug last night version 2078 / after 20 days in game. what i did was loading 5 crates on the raft / whent to the 3rd island i discovered with everything to build water still, fire, shelter. once arrived builded the camp, still & fire, replenished my vital when to the shelter to save entered the options quit the options menu check my inventory whent back in the shlter menu to save when it saved the game became blurry and frooze after 5 minutes quit close the application on the PS4 / reseted the PS4 loaded the game / game stuck in the cleaning up phase of the loading retried 5 times same results reloaded new game on save # 2… save # 1 must be corrupted i guess / single player mode

Same problem with me.
PS4 Version: 9.03
Game version: 1.12 (2078)
Day: 101

Problem with 2078 version from PS4. After save, the game stop all moves. I tried to restart, but now don’t open my saved game,it was stopped on loading page (cleaning up).

Hi @alanboy69 and @andersoncbrz,

I moved your posts to this thread so I can keep track of them. Please see the original top post for the latest updates from the team.

@alanboy69 - When you arrived at your third island, is this the first time you’d saved on an island other than your starting island or did you save on your second one as well? Do you recall losing or dumping anything in the ocean during your travels?

@andersoncbrz - Do you recall if this happened after traveling to a new island or if you had dumped / lost anything in the ocean before this occured? Any extra information you can give about your gameplay before this issue occured can help the team narrow down any other potential triggers for this issue.

Playing on xbox series x with latest patch. On Saturday my saved game got corrupted after 20 hours of gameplay and was stuck on the cleaning screen. Started new game. Build a shelter on starter island and saved with no issues. Then used the yellow raft and paddled to new island. Chopped down a tree and constructed a shelter. Hit save and bam game froze. Save game corrupt. Nothing fell into the ocean as i was paddling to new island. I only had one crate on me. When saving i did not touch any other button on my controller.

Hello Clare, thank you for responding. I do dump unwanted items into the abyss thinking it’s less items the game has to save I really don’t know if this helps my save or not. I don’t think its related to the freezing when saving issue. Since this issue started again after the 1.12 update, I’ve started numerus different saves and the game freezes up whether I dump into the abyss or don’t. On one save I started, I got to the starter island the only thing I did was collected all fibrous leaves, built a shelter and saved, the game froze on the very first save. On another save my starter island had a container ship so I had plenty of crates for storage, so I built container shelves (only as many as I needed) so when the game did freeze, I had nothing laying around, so I lost nothing however as you know I don’t have the resources on a starter island to do this every time as I came up short on wood for other things. I’m playing single player not online, when the game freezes the pause menu automatically opens, I can go to options put wildlife on passive this will unlock the game and I can go on with my current save to include saving again, however as I mentioned before anything not secured may be lost, anything that floats logs, starter crates etc. you may see floating in the water, swim around the island to look for things that don’t float crates etc. I also believe things I don’t interact with are not affected and will not be thrown everywhere. On one save there were a couple rocks and a crate that was above the water line in a rowboat that I had not interacted with were not affected. Sorry about the long response. One more thing after the game freezes there’s only one chance to go to options if I open the options menu then hit circle and exit out it won’t let you go back in you will be stuck. Thank You Clare. I hope this gibberish is helpful. I love this game I know the team is working hard to fix it. Anything else I can do to help please let me know.

1 Like

After traveling to a new island .

1 Like

Just happened to me after I mined some clay and it fell down into the deep ocean. The clay deposit was half hanging over the cliff, so I had no chance to stop it falling. This is the second save file that I have had in this game do this in the past 2 days, I started this save after my last one did this but I have no idea why my last one did this as nothing dropped into the deep ocean at all. Very frustrating.

1 Like

@Meeleepit - Welcome to the forums. Thank you for sharing the details of your experience, I’ll add this to my secondary trigger report for the team.

@OIF1ADVET - The team has confirmed that dumping items into the deep sea is one of the triggers for this issue so I would recommend avoiding it for now while they test the fix. However I understand there are different things that may cause this, not just items lost at sea. Some players have mentioned losing objects through the ground as well. I’ll make a note of it occurring for you without traveling and it happening on the first save for you and while some other players have mentioned it it’s not a very common report.

With regards to your workaround, the team asked me to confirm that it was definitely passive you set the wildlife to and that you didn’t turn them off. This has a different effect to what I originally thought and they’d like to research it further. I know you mentioned switching it to passive in your most recent post, but would you mind confirming it for me officially so I can say you’ve confirmed it to the team?

Thank you so much for continuing to share this information, this is very helpful and I’ll pass this onto the team investigating too. If there’s anything else you wish to add, please do not hesitate to do so, all info is hugely appreciated while the team tackles this issue!

@andersoncbrz - thank you for confirming this for me.

@quintennyson - welcome to the forums. Thank you for sharing the details of your experience. I’ll note your lost clay for the team testing this issue. I understand how frustrating this issue is. The team are continuing to investigate other potential triggers outside of dropping in the ocean. If you happen to recall anything about your first save, please do let me know.

Hello Clare, I to was having problems with things falling thru the ground, but not since the 1.12 update. Yes, Ma’am I put the wildlife on passive. The save I’m currently playing the game has frozen twice in eleven in game days while trying to save. I wanted to see if it would happen more than once after unlocking it, and it did. I go to options change wildlife to passive exit out of options the game goes back to normal I then save then switch the wildlife back to default. Next time it freezes I’m going to try to change a different option to see if I get the same effect with it unlocking. I’m also wondering if I leave the wildlife on passive will it freeze. But it’s not the same playing without the sharks. LOL The times the game froze I had not dumped anything in the ocean and everything I did not want to lose were in crates on shelves or picked up in my inventory there was very little junk on the ground. Thank You Clare, I hope this was helpful. :slight_smile:

Mine has just froze again playing on PS4 latest version on solo made it about 40 days just sorting my raft . Went on sure and saved and the save froze after the banner came up . Keeps happening just wasting hours of game play ! Not happy at all!!!

Hi Don802117, when you’re game freezes try going to options then turning wildlife to passive, I’ve been doing this. It unlocks the game but most stuff not secured will fly everywhere possibly losing stuff. I’ve been keeping all my stuff in crats on shelves. This has worked well for me however I am looking forward to a patch.

a lot like a few others i think i read i had the refined knife and the refined axe in my toolbelt alongside the refined hammer and refined pick, it may not have been the clay going over the edge that caused it, but from memory i had nothing else that would’ve triggered it.

I will be following up on previous comments as soon as I can, but for now I have a short update from the team. (and I’ll add this to the top post too)

UPDATE 2021/12/08
The hotfix for the Dumped/Lost Items trigger for the “Cleaning Up” issue is with PlayStation and Microsoft for approval. As with previous hotfixes, as soon as they’re approved they’ll be released so they may appear for different regions and systems at different times.

As a reminder this hotfix is only one of the triggers for this issue and the team are continuing to investigate others reported by the community. Unfortunately due to the nature of the bug, previously affected saves are not restored with this fix, but it is designed to prevent this trigger from causing the issue again. This fix should cover both items lost accidentally through the ground and items lost / intentionally dropped at sea.

Thank you to everyone who has reported their experience of this issue so far, this has greatly helped the team in tracking down this trigger quickly and is continuing to help with other triggers. They team also wishes to say thank you to the community for your understanding and support while they work on this.

2 Likes

Just downloading it for PS4 now. Big thanks to yourself and the team!

1 Like

Thank you for pushing out the hotfix!

For me the game hasn’t frozen yet on saving (I can even move around like crazy while saving and it doesn’t freeze - although I am weary this isn’t a good thing to do while saving, but the game shouldn’t let me move/look around at all while saving in the first place…)

Hey I downloaded the Hotfix on my PS4 but when I try to start the game on day 40 I just can start from new again. Does anyone else has this problem?

I mean the save slot says “day 40” but when I click on it it starts from the beginning

Hi Josh, welcome to the forums, the save slot days refer to the single player in that slot. Are you starting a Single Player game or a Multiplayer Game? Multiplayer days can be seen in the pause menu from within the multiplayer game. If you had a save in that slot and can no longer access it, please submit a new bug report with as much info as possible as it is difficult to track other reports in this thread.

Hi Clare, I posted it here in this thread because I had the same issue with stucking in that “cleaning up” phase and after I downloaded the update I had this new problem.
I try to load my save slot in a Single player game and I see “40 days” in the menu but when I click on “continue” there is this menu from the very start where you choose difficulty and so on.
I thought this topic belongs also in this thread because first I had the same issue