[Known Issue][PS4/XB1] Loss of interactions

Bought this game and I have seen the same issues both in coop and single player. I create my base on starting island, I venture out collecting items return to base and everything on the island is not accessible. Seems to happen by day 6. Little frustrated now that I decided to play in single player and after getting a great start it fails. My saved game is before it crashes, daytime. Noticed while on another island of my first island hop things were not accessible in certain parts of island. As I made my way to two other islands in search of my own things were working. Upon finally finding my base and needing water I come to everything not accessible. Along with losing all I had just procured on my hop. Not sure if anyone else is having issues like this in a normal single player or not. Using Xbox for gameplay.

Awesome game, worth waiting for the fix on this issue. I can confirm the suggested workaround has worked for me but the issue occurred again couple hours after. Will retry the workaround this evening and hopefully carry on for now.

1 Like

Same here. Wildlife on/off - fix works only for a few in-game hours. In addition you habe to move from island to island when it occurs.

I’ve Updated the main post and added a link to the update Sam posted - [PS4/XB1] Dev Update on Interaction Bug

Please feel free to continue posting details of your experience in this thread but remember to keep it on topic. If you experience a different issue, please create a new bug report for it so I can track it seperately.

[Edit: I forgot to add that for those of you who saw an update on console, Sam also mentioned this in another thread: [PS4][2071][Gameplay] Can't interact with most things - #366 by Sam
>No, the update that is currently rolling out was scheduled before co-op launched. A new update will be coming with a fix for the interaction bug.]

Thank you :slight_smile:

(post deleted by author)

It’s coming. All the best and positivity towards you.

3 Likes

Hi Cauhmed, I sent you a PM regarding this message. As I said there I appreciate the passion you have for the game, and understand you’re trying to get your personal feelings on the game across, but in future please be mindful of the content you are posting on the forums as it does need to stick to the Rules and Guidelines - Stranded Deep

Edit: I also wanted to include links to hotlines for anyone who may need them, there is a useful resource of hotlines by country here

3 Likes

Still love the game, love that the Stranded Deep Team are working to get the problems fixed. Don’t mind the haters, they just want the game more that we do. haha!

So let me get this straight the ps4 is getting a update to fix the bug but xbox isn’t even tho it’s free on playstation and everyone on xbox that had to pay just o well peasants will get to you when we can?

No, the update that is rolling out today is not required for Xbox and was scheduled to release before the co-op update released. When the fix for the interaction issue is available it will be released for both. Please see links to Sam’s post and his comment in my original post up top.

2 Likes

Top post updated to include Seg4me’s potential workaround:

So I started a new game. I’m on Day 8 and I have not gone near any of the cliff islands. Not even close enough for the game to load the details on it. However, on the night of Day 8, I decided I wanted to scavenge other lush islands for corrugated scrap for planting. I tried to avoid a cliff island but I may have strayed too close to another cliff island next to it. I made my way back to my home island on the morning of Day 9 around 8 am. That is when I got the interaction bug. Could not highlight and interact with my sails. Decided to reload the game which was 5pm Day 8, went to sleep and woke up Day 9. Walked around my island picking up plants, highlighting coconuts on the trees. No interaction bug…so far. Day 9 is almost over.

EDIT: Interaction Bug happened at the end of Day 9. Oh well. I’ve restarted plenty of games since this 1.08 patch so I’ll take a break until a fix in in.

I’m new to the game on PS5. Aimed to spend my first 10 days on my spawn island - got to day 5 (5.30-6am) on save slot 1 and was struck by the bug. Didn’t build a raft so no chance of visiting other islands (safely) as i wasn’t planning on leaving until trophy popped.

On save slot 2 I got to day 19 (11pm ish) before the bug struck after visiting 2 close islands to plunder resources - one with just crabs the other crab/boar combination.

Just thought i’d mention that even without leaving the starting island the bug is seen.

Love the game so far - looking forward to complete in the near future.

Alright so new save second slot. Played for 5 in game days. No issues until about day 4 started hearing bats middle of
The day under water near the big oil shipwreck. No issues kept about my day. Then when to open a locker and heard a weird static/screech opening it. Went back to my camp on same island. Saved went to bed. Woke up did some harvesting and decided to start building and 2nd build lost interaction.

@Clare , here’s the information I was able to gather for my case:

Wildlife REMOVED seems to turn the bug off.

• Online save, played with a friend from the start, Wildlife set to passive.
  • Testing it on day 8, but it happened on day 7 if I remember correctly.
  • Second Island, with cliffs. Found a hog, a boar, giant and normal crabs, but didn’t see any snakes.
  • Tested Camera Mode, Wildlife and Volumetric Clouds, changing it in game to all possible combinations.
  • The only setting to have any effect was removing wildlife. It always gets interaction back for me.
  • When hitting the apply button, I can see in the background the Interaction display disappearing instantly and the Highlight on the item a few (varying) seconds later.
  • So far, I was only able to test leaving my character pretty much idle for about 30 mins once, did nothing but drink water, interaction was always possible.
  • A player joining the session and the game reloading/resyncing gets interaction back for a few seconds, only once it lasted more than 1 minute, but I left in 5 min so I don’t know how long it would’ve worked.
  • When the bug is present, nothing really to note beyond what’s already reported here. Standing right on top of the item helps but doesn’t always work.
  • I was also having the issue of items disappearing through the ground, happened to planks and a crude hoe (this one actually went through a farming lot).
  • Fish not following the sea level variation during a storm and appearing to “fly” over water was already happening before the recent updates.
  • Dropping paddle makes no difference to me.

Edit: typo and…
A big thanks to all the team and the helpful members of the community.

I really do not like the level of comments getting flagged if s it’s bad language or threats that’s one thing but if it’s just because it’s a opinion that isn’t liked then the level of flagged comments is ridiculous and completely unacceptable for a forum people have every rite to be upset especially ones that had to pay for the game and this is how every game almost comes out or is handled these days do silence people just people they don’t have the same opinion

Hi Clare,
I haven’t played for a few days and jumped today and have experienced the interaction bug.

What I noticed was when standing I couldn’t interact with most things but if I squatted I could interact.

For example; the shelter, standing up beside it I couldn’t get interaction to appear but when I squatted and pointed towards the ground near the opening as the stick goes in the ground I could interact.

I can’t drink from the water still but could refill it by squatting and pointing towards the ground a short distance from the still with still almost out of camera shot.

Palm trees have no interaction or a very small hit box again only while squatting but could climb palm trees but without any text prompts to climb. I also couldn’t collect coconuts unless I found the hit box sweet by squatting and chopping down palm tree.

Same with small palms most times. Couldn’t interact while standing but could while squatting.

It seemed to me that the distance between the cross hair and item hit box is wrong and could work around by squatting. It even felt the hit box was very small and had to find the sweet spot to interact

Updated the main post with new information. This helps to explain why the workaround has worked for some players and not for others.

The team are continuing their work to get a fix out to the community as quickly as they can.

1 Like

Avoiding Islands without cliffs could be problematic because the lack of UV protection is clearly a part of this bug. Knowing the bug kicks in around day 10, I was very well prepared at the shoreline.

This included a 2x2 wood building, with roof, right at sea level.
The building provided 0% UV protection. Inside or out, the shadows provided zero relief. You already know this problem exists for the raft canopy.

So the only two places to get any relief are underwater, or standing behind the shady side of a cliff.

I really hope the fix addressed this as well.

And yes, as I first reported, I have not seen a snake since the update. Not one. Not on any settings.

When I reloaded the game after the multiplayer update, the sleeping bag I was using to save was missing. I looked all over the island, but gave up in the end. I moved island a few times without the bug, then settled and started building.

I noticed that when breaking up palm trees, some of the palm fronds were missing and soon after this bug hit. Turning animals on and off makes no difference for me, so I think my sleeping bag and some palm fronds have fallen through the ground.

I’m a software engineer, so I know how difficult it can be when these kind of bugs happen. Thanks to the devs for jumping on the issue quickly and thanks you @Clare for doing a great job collating all of the reports and communicating back to the community.