[Known Issue][PS4/XB1] Crashing when saving

Thank you for keeping us updated on your new save and the differences you’ve found so far in game, Lesker1978. I’ll keep an eye out for any future updates from you on this but I hope it continues to run smoothly for you.

Day #28 - it’s slower when saving. Explored 7 islands. Found a dead guy. DEFINITELY more sharks. It’s wild.

Thank you for your continued updates Lesker1978. Can you confirm for me if you have build up much or harvested a lot of resources in your save by this time? Slower saving is expected to a degree as players progress, change and add things to the world. But if you feel it’s a significant change then I’d like to note the size of the change for the team.

Clare. So I made it to day 50ish and it crashed while saving.

13 islands
20 ships scavenged

Quite a bit of harvesting.

Built a raft and a gyrocopter

Had about 9 container shelves and about 30 crates.

Deleted the game. Will check back here for updates I guess.

Just seems when you get to a certain point the game can’t handle it and it crashes. Oh well. Good mileage for a free game. I’ll check back here for the next update.

Hi Lesker1978, thank you for your update and for details what kind of changes you had made to the game before it started crashing.

I understand taking a break for the game and waiting for info on updates and I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience of this issue with us. I will included this info in a report update for the team.

2 posts were split to a new topic: [PS4] Crashing and save data issues

Multiple times in a single play session. How is this still not fixed after over a year ?

Hi Trishbaby100, welcome to the fourms,

The team are continuing to work on this issue, however there are unfortunately a number of issues that can potentially result in the same effect or have a trickle down effect the results in crashing when saving.

The team have fixed a number of triggers for the crashes but understand while some players are no longer affected by crashes, some players still experience them during gameplay.

We’d greatly appreciate any additional information you can share about your experience of these crashes and if you submit a report to the Console Bug Report section I’ll get back to you asap.

I play ps5 and im at day 261 and the crashes are unbearable at this point its not only crashing at saves it crashes randomly whenever it feels like it about 100 or so days ago it was like every 7 or so saves and then it would crash now its every other and sometimes every save or when im swimming especially when I go to another island it will crash every time i try to go back to my home base island it actually unplayable at this point

Hi @Superducky_mommy

I’m sorry to hear the crashes are affecting your saves as well. Thank you for sharing the details of your experience. I will pass all of this info onto the team members investigating crashes.

As you are on day 261, and your island in game is probably well established - please let me know:

• Do you have a lot of loose items on your island or a lot of crates? - if you have a lot of loose items, please try storing them in crates and using the piles feature as this may help reduce the load on your island.
  • If you have a lot of crates, did any of them come from custom islands and do you store them in container shelves or loosely or both?
  • When the game crashes when you swim, are you swimming between two islands? - crashing at the midway point where one island loads out and the other loads in - or is it more likely to crash if you are you swimming around the shore of your base island?
    I understand you have said it crashes when returning to your island but I wanted to double check if this is when you are swimming or are they two seperate potential crash triggers.

As your save is a large one, I think the team may also be interested to see a copy of your save if that is at all possible? The team cannot fix and return individual saves, but they will use a copy of your save to investigate crashes and test fixes that can be released to the community as a whole.

If you’re happy to share your file, the instructions below should help you to access your save files from your PS5 (I believe this will only work for PS4 games as PS5 games removed the ability to do this):

1. Turn on PS4 / PS5
  2. Insert an External USB Drive into one of the 2 USB ports on the front of the console.
  3. In the main menu, go to “Settings”
  4. Click on “Application Saved Data Management”
  5. Select “Saved Data in System Storage”
  6. Select “Copy to USB Storage Device”
  7. Select Stranded Deep
  8. Select all files and press “Copy”
  9. Wait until transfer is complete
  10. Remove External Drive
  11. Zip up all files copied to USB drive including “.bin” and “Profile” files
  12. Upload the file to an online file sharing service such as Google Drive and send me a share link via private message. I can then retrieve the file and pass it onto the team.

I completely understand how frustrating these crashes can be for players - especially when they are this frequent in your game now. Any extra info you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

1 Like

PS4 possible game crash fix found when upgrading my hard drive.

Running a rebuild database procedure from safe mode on my PS4 due to errors after a hard drive upgrade fixed the incessant game crashes. Not sure it will work for everyone but I was crashing every third save attempt… without exception.

Bonus accidental remedy!!! Just be aware a database rebuild can take a long time depending on what is on your system.

Hope this helps. (Clare if this belongs elsewhere feel free to move the post)

1 Like

Thank you for sharing this NgtHwk1 - I’ll pass this onto the team also to let them know it has worked for you as it may provide more info as to the cause of crashes you have experienced.

As a standard disclaimer for those who may wish to try it:

Please exercise caution when following unofficial (non Sony) “How To” guides. If you choose to do this, it is at your own discretion and we recommend you do your own research first.

Thanks again :slight_smile:

I will work on getting you the save file. As for swimming i was hunting a shark just off shore (by the way noticed the sharks are choppy and erratic) then suddenly crash, when entering my base island in any way raft, gyro, swim it doesnt matter 8 times out of 10 it will crash and if it doesn’t crash there is a big chance that when i try to save it will crash. I recently got back onto my island i had no loose anything everything was in boxes ,boxes on selves inside outbuildings. Not sure which boxes were the bad boxes ( ie the duplicate ones from custom islands ) so i put things that can go in piles into piles took as many boxes as i could to the custom island dropped them off and deleted the island i also destroyed every shelf on my island and im now working on going back to non custom islands and picking up good boxes to completely switch all my stuff over to them because the building supplies and clay dont go in piles. The lag seems better when on my base island but the save crash is still there and like i said about leaving and trying to return to the base island its like i hit an invisible barrier that i slowly push through glitching the whole time and landing where ever (one time i landed with my raft in the roof of my boat house couldn’t get it out so had to reset). So im not sure what else i can do im worried that even if i restart in a separate save slot that once i get to a point in the game (i think its when i build a house and stay on a single island for to long) that it will do the same thing. And sorry for the delayed response by the way.

Tried this a night or so ago, can confirm it works to some degree. Haven’t had any blue screens (yet), although the game does seem to run a little more smoothly after rebuilding, even on cluttered islands.

Hi @Superducky_mommy

Thank you for those additional details and for sharing what you tried to reduce the lag and crashes. I’m sorry to hear the crashes have persisted for you and but am glad to hear the lag has eased on your island.

Thank you also for looking into getting us a copy of the save file - I’ll keep an eye out for any messages from you regarding this.

I understand your concerns about starting a new save and will pass all of the details you have shared about your experience and what you have changed in your game onto the team as it may help them with stability fixes and adjustments for players.

—-------------

Hi @vilecrow ,

Thank you for letting us know you tried this and have noticed an improvement in your game. I will add this to my notes for the team.

Adding this here as I get the issue when saving but also get it when doing other actions too.
I’m experiencing this issue a lot and it is extremely frustrating.

Crash occurs when i am doing any of the following

• Saving game at a shelter
  • swimming or mining clay underwater
  • quitting to main menu

Happens anywhere. It happens no more frequently on a newly discovered island than it does on my home island with all my buildings and crates.

PS4. Build version 2107.
In-game Day 183, at the time of posting.

PS4 reports a CE-34878-0 error, a generic “application has crashed” error

Tried the ‘rebuild database’ suggestion. It didn’t work and still get frequent crashes.

A pattern I’ve noticed though it that it seems to be the 3rd or 4th action (ie. save or quit) per game load causes it to crash.
So load the game up fresh. Load a save. Survive for a bit. Save. Survive some more. Save. Keep on surviving. Save. Game dies whilst saving

Swimming/Mining clay crash is random. With those I sometimes get lag whilst in the water, possibly due to number of fish, and the game is laggy and jerky and then just gives up.

Hi @Rendo84, welcome to the forums
Thank you for taking the time to share this information. I’m sorry to hear these crashes are affecting your save.

Saving at a shelter:

• Can you confirm if you build a shelter at every island (or almost every island) so you can save there?

Swimming and Mining Clay

• Is this around a game-generated island or a custom island?

Crashing when quitting

• Is this immediately after a successful save or has it occurred without saving to?

Thank you again for this additional info, I will forward what you have shared about your experience onto the team and I am sorry to hear the database rebuilding did not help you.

One thing that may be worth trying, if you do save on multiple islands with shelters, is to remove the shelters from the game and use either a bedroll or try to return to 1 shelter to see if that helps. After removing additional shelters I would clear the cache of your console (shutting down and unplugging for 2 mins) to be sure. Please also avoid saving on the ocean with the bedroll on a raft when doing this as that has also caused some issues with saving. You should be safe saving on land however.

If this helps, please do let me know as the team has been investigating if multiple shelters spread across the world can be a trigger for this issue.

As you are on PS4, before doing this you may also wish to make a backup of your save to an external USB so you can revert your save if needed.

Thank you.

UPDATE:
The team are investigating saving at multiple shelters over multiple islands as a trigger for crashes. If you experience crashes across multiple shelters, please let me know. Similarly if you reduce to 1 shelter, or use only a bedroll and this helps combat crashes in your save, please let me know

caution: do not save out in the middle of the ocean using a bedroll on a raft as this has the potential to cause issues the team are still investigating

Hi Clare

Thanks for replying.

I tend to build 1 shelter and 1 water still on every island I visit, I’ve not visited every island yet either.

All islands are currently game generated. I haven’t customised any islands, so far.

The saving crash never actually saves progress before it crashes so when I restart the game and reload it’s actually loading the previous save point, which is frustrating if there’s a large gap between saves and I’ve done loads of stuff on an island. That was actually the reason I started saving the game more frequently but that obviously makes the crash issue happen more often too.

Haven’t saved on raft/water. Always on land and at shelter. I will try swapping to a bedroll for saving and see if that makes a difference.

I’m using Seed #666 for the game world in case something generated within that could be a trigger for the crashing.

Thank you very much for that additional information Rendo84, I will pass this info onto the team.

I’ll also keep an eye out for any additional info from you regarding trying the bedroll.

Thanks again.