[Known Issue][PS4/XB1] Crashing when saving

A post was split to a new topic: Console Multiple issues

Hi @Jared0499
My apologies for the delay in getting back to you over the holidays. Thank you for the list of situations where this issue has occurred. I’m sorry to hear this issue has also hit your multiplayer save too, I understand how frustrating this is for players, and the team do too. It is my understanding the team is continuing to work on resolving things that can trigger crashes as well as stability in general. Unfortunately while I know the team is working on the next update, I do not yet have information on what it will contain, as soon as I do it’ll be posted in News and Announcements.

Hey @Clare

I love the game but it is constantly crashing.

System: ps4 and ps5
Version: 2079
Mode: multiplayer (i playing alone on Private)
Day: 204 (crashes happen since beginning)

my game crashes when:

-I save it at the tent or sleeping bag.

-i save a new island in the cartographer or when i replace an island and save it on the map.

-I switch ingame from first person to third person(the very first time today after 3 savings).

-I return to the main menu and then reload(after cartographer).

All these crashes mostly happen after I run the game for 30-40 minutes. ingame wile saving at any time of day, weather or place.

I can usually save 3-4 times before the game crashes when saving.
if the game did not crash the 5th time it was saved, then 100% crash afterwards when I use the Kartographer as described above.

from my point of view the problem is maybe playtime and/or saving-lag based. freshly started it works fine but after 30-40 minutes the trouble begins. I can now foresee the crashes and mostly they happen when I expect them.
I also cleared the cache but it didn’t help.

it is very exhausting to fight with so many crashes. especially when you lose everything you’ve done from the last save till then. I hope that my experience can help to solve the problem.

I’m from Germany so sorry if my English is probably not that good;)

Hi Nobby, thank you for sharing this information based on your experiences. I completely understand how tiring these crashes can be and really appreciate you sharing what you have found to be possible triggers in your save.

I shall pass these details on to the team along with your comment about where you believe the problem is occuring for you based on gameplay time and lag.

Thank you again for sharing that info and your English very good and perfectly understandable, please do not worry about that!

2 Likes

@Clare
Summary - I get the blue screen error upon saving at least 4 times per day. It only happens if I wait just a little too long to save while I’m building and moving things around. I try to save once every ten minutes or less, more so if I’m in the middle of building a large structure, or organizing a lot of items. I have a pretty significant amount of items loose on the ground. Should I try to keep most items in crates? Is it the “collision” thing that causes an overload of data? If so, maybe having loose items spread out would be better, as opposed to trying to stack them up(which makes them glitchy until they settle).
P. S. - this is the best game I’ve played since GTA 5 came out, I’m really rooting for you guys to be able to continue improving and updating the game! Keep up the good work and if you need specific details from me, just ask!

Seed - 51796566

Settings - Changed animals to passive mode and removed clouds. No custom islands.

Steps - Wait more than 10 minutes to save, or build/move a large quantity of items before saving. I only save while looking down directly at shelter/sleeping bag, making sure not to have any items in view and not holding any item in my hands.

Extras - I only play single player. Crashing began very early on, maybe within the first 10 game days. Tried reloading game/file and tried clearing PS4 cache with no improvement.

***Last thing, different topic but it’s minor, one of my clay flasks says “empty empty empty empty empty clay flask” and seems to add another “empty” every time it is fully depleted.

Hi LilB13, please see my responses to your post here: [PS4][2079][Save Game Crash] Game Crashes While Saving PS4

No need to post the same in multiple locations, I’ll get to a single report as soon as I can! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi, I wanted to report that the latest update [2083] did not fix this issue (crashing when saving) and it is still persisting (though, I understand that based on the patch notes it was also not intended to address that issue in this patch).

It is very hard and cumbersome to “work around” this issue. I need to close down the application completely and freshly load into the game very frequently to avoid most of these crashes.

Also I am back to the crashing when even approaching my home island. I am hardly able to play the game unless I would be willing to abandon my home island (which I am not) and just finish the game by escaping.

Is there an ETA for a fix for this issue?

Thanks.

Hi fox-spooky-mulder0,

I unfortunately do not have an ETA from the team on updates for this issue. Thank you for sharing your the details of your experience after the update 2083, I shall pass this feedback onto the team and update my report too.

@Clare , been awhile since i was on. Thought id give it a minute to see if you all were able to fix the save crash. Was hopeful the newest update fixed it but started playing and no problems until day 73 and then its starts lagging on saves and then bam, crashes start jappening again. Whats the word on this. Its been months ainve this started happening and no fix, is there a fix in sight or should i just forgo the console version altogether. The game play is much smoother on console because i dont have a very good desktop, but at least com po uter doesnt crash. Please let me know if this is still being worked on or abandoned.

Jared

Hello Do we have any news on the backup problem? Although I am extremely disgusted to have lost several tens of hours, I would like to be able to platinum the game, What would be nice and well seen on the part of the developers would be to unlock all the trophies for people who have had the loss of their saves, but I greatly doubt that such an action will be considered,
Thank you

@Jared0499 - Hi and thank you for that update on your experience. I do not have information from the team regarding an estimated time for a fix or details regarding the work on this issue. However the team are still working on the Console version including working on issues reported by players. I know this issue has occured for a long time for players and manifested in different ways for some and is very disheartening. At the moment I’m working on gathering info regarding the timing of crashes, there are a few players who have reported that in and around day 20, they noticed the issue starting. You noticing of the issue at day 73 this time around is interessting. Had you recently added or moved to a custom island before this occured?

While I will add the info you shared to my report, I will also pass your comment on as feedback to the team.

Hi @Karpy, please see my response above to Jared0499 regarding information on this issue. I understand your disgust at losing gameplay hours crashes and will pass your feedback onto the team for their consideration. However I do believe it is highly unlikely that trophies will be unlocked for players in this way.

@Clare Hello again, as to the specifics, i had gone through all the islands and had a loaded out 10×10 raft with everything i collected from all islands. Made a custom island to build base and a farm island to get building materials and had just cleared the farm created island and was moving to home created island. Upon saving on Home island, crashes started happening.

Reatarted gane w no custom islands and it crashed on day 48.

Went back to PC version after that and havent played console version since. But again i actually like console version better because my pc sucks and cant handle the game.

Jared

Sorry for my delay in responding to you @Jared0499, thank you for sharing those details. Before the crashes started, would you have build or added any new container shelves to your raft? If so, how many would you say you fit on your rafts? I know these shelves are causing some issues for players and I’m wondering if there could be a link here.

Are there any updates on this issue?

Hi BucketRobot,

While I have not received progress updates from the team working on this issue (these would be generally added to the post above if I receive any) I have been continuing to update my report for the team as players report their experiences with this issue and we’ve also received a number of save files from players who experience crashes when saving for the team to use in testing.

Should you wish to share details of your own experience of this issue, please feel free to do so here or in your own bug report and I will pass the details onto the team.

Thank you Clare.
Yeah, was asking since it’s been two months :sweat_smile: Well so for me I can save 3-4 times never more than that on the 4th or 5th save (varies) the game crashes. I’m playing on a PS4 Slim. I have done all the workarounds but still have the issue. The game also crashes when quitting, if I have played more than 4+ hours. I’m on day 360+ something. How do I send you guys the save file? I would love to help if I can.

Hi BucketRobot,

Sorry for my delay in responding to you. Thank you for sharing the details of your experience.

If you’re still happy to share your save that would be awesome - having the save and the details you shared above should hopefully help the team replicate the same issues and continue their investigation.

The instructions for sharing saves can be found here: [Save File Request]

It’s mentioned in the link above, but I just want to make sure you’re aware before you send your save that the team cannot fix and return individual saves, but the saves will be used in working to find and test a fix for the community as a whole.

Thank you again!

1 Like

At Day 107. Crashed when saving. PS4 2083. It’s like Russian roulette really. Worst glitch ever. Thank you for working on it.

Hi Lesker1978, welcome to the forums,

Thank you for the details of your platform, days played and version number. Can you confirm for me if you use a number or container shelves in your gameplay at all if you’ve ever experienced any issues with them when playing? (even if a crash doesn’t happen during the same session).