My friend and I have played two games together now, I’ve been hosting the games we both save periodically through our out our gameplay. The first game we died and wrote it off as a loss and started a new one. We played for a few hours saved and hopped off. We went to load it back up and it’s gone nothing saved. We’re both on ps4, I haven’t had a problem in single player mode, all my saves are there but our multiplayer saves are not. Whyyy?!?!?!?
You and the other player must be at the same bed to save I think
We use the same shelter to save so that’s not the issue
Hi Noctua, welcome to the forums,
I’m sorry to hear this issue with progress not being saved is affecting your multiplayer gameplay. The team are aware of this issue and are working to find the cause behind progress not being saved. Any additional information you can provide about your setup and experience of the issue would be greatly appreciated as it can help the team to investigate further.
Please let me know:
- What version of the game you’re playing (this number should be in the bottom left of the main menu).
- You mentioned playing 2 games with your friend where you were the host. During the first game, did you manage to successfully save before your characters died?
- Do you recall what you did prior to saving? Such as returning from an island, using a freshly built shelter, lots of harvesting of resources, etc?
- When saving, did you notice if the “Game Saved” notification appeared in the bottom left of the screen?
- What steps were taken to quit the game / close the game? Did both players log out at the same time?
- Was the game closed completely after exiting the save or was it suspended and the console put to sleep?
- If you check the saved data on your console, can you see any save files other than your solo saves for Stranded Deep that may be present on the console but the game cannot access?
- If you try saving again in multiplayer, and you exit to the main menu, does the “Continue” option exist or does it show an option for a new game immediately after exiting the save?
- Do you have a solo save in the same slot? If so, does saving in a slot that does not have a solo game in it make a difference?
- Is Stranded Deep installed on an external drive?
- Is your friend in the same region / household as you?
- What region are you using when starting a multiplayer game?
- Did you change any of the settings from default when setting up the game?
- Which characters did you choose?
- What are the NAT types of both consoles? (This is in console network settings, if they are different, please indicate which is the host and which is player 2)
- How is player 2 joining the game?
- Are either of you able to play multiplayer on your own, save and then access that file?
I understand this is a lot of questions, but details about player’s experiences that can be compared to other reports can help the team to narrow down what could be causing this issue.
Things to try:
- If you haven’t already, please try an alternate region (Eg: if in Europe try the US or vice versa) or “Auto” region if you haven’t already done so.
- If you are using a wired connection, please try switching to wireless, especially if you’re in the same household.
- Try having your friend host to see if the saving issue occurs for them too.
During the first game we died by drowning at night got stuck in a cargo ship cargo hold we did save right before that. On the second one I had left our base island to go get some raft parts on another island came back and I saved at the shelter with him right next to me. The “Game Saved” notification came up as well. After that I hit the main menu option in the pause menu. The continue option doesn’t appear when you restart the game. There was a save file on the save slot I had started for the host game, but I deleted it before we started. The game is on the console not an external drive . The region was set to auto, we were both male characters, both of our NAT types were type 2. Player 2 joins up thru a playstation invite message, I can play multiplayer on my own but I can’t continue it. The only setting I changed in game was the wildlife, I set it to passive. My friend lives in the same state and city as me we were not in the same house. And save files are there I just can’t load them. That’s about as much info I can recall and see for sure from the console. I’m on version 2038 I think those are the numbers in the left hand corner at the bottom of the screen.
I was wrong I hit continue on host game in multiplayer and it’s wanting to start a new game
And the region server won’t connect either if selected on USA/east
Thank you so much for answering my questions and providing all of that additional information - I have updated my report for the team.
You mentioned that you can see save files that the game cannot access. Would you be happy to share these files with the team to help with their investigation? Please note, however, that the team does not fix and return individual files (as these could then clash with later updates), instead they will use the files to further investigate and hopefully test fixes for this issue so a fix can be released for the community as a whole.
If you’re happy to do so, please follow the following steps:
Turn on PS4
Insert an External USB Drive into one of the 2 USB ports on the front of the console.
In the main menu, go to “Settings”
Click on “Application Saved Data Management”
Select “Saved Data in System Storage”
Select “Copy to USB Storage Device”
Select Stranded Deep
Select all files and press “Copy”
Wait until transfer is complete
Remove External Drive
Zip up all files copied to USB drive including “.bin” and “Profile” files
Please use a file hosting service such as Google Drive, One Drive, Dropbox etc and DM me the link to the file (unfortunately we had issues recently with files failing to come through via email and I want to make sure we get them)
In the meantime, though it is likely a long shot but you may wish to try some of the following (if you do, let me know and I can pass the results onto the team)
Could you try your friend joining the save in other ways, such as searching via the public list for your hosted game.
Try using the female character
Try starting the game with animals not set to passive
If possible, try saving for the first time on a different island, not the starting island
After backing up the save files to USB, it may be worth trying to completely remove both Stranded Deep and the save files from your console. Then clear the cache of the console by shutting down and unplugging for 2 mins. After a fresh reboot with the cache cleared, try installing Stranded Deep again and saving in a multiplayer game.
Thank you again for all of the info you have provided so far.
Following up on this as the team are continuing their work to investigate and resolve the issue with multiplayer not saving and have asked me to check if it is possible to get a copy of your save file as mentioned in my last message as the information it provides them could be very useful in resolving this issue.