[Known Issue] Sharks not spawning

Issue Summary:
If a player creates a custom island sharks may not spawn around that island.

Please note, sharks do not currently respawn in game. This issue appears to be unique to custom islands.

Workarounds:
Unfortunately there is no workaround for this issue.

Further Reporting
If you find you generate a world and no sharks spawn and you used the cartographer before loading the world for the first time, please let us know below.

If a world generates for you with no sharks, without the use of the cartographer, please submit a bug report in the main [Console Bug Reports] section.

Does this include the open sea biomes as well or just island biomes?

Sharks don’t spawn around shipwrecks but they’ll spawn in open ocean.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by this? Each island it it’s own unit in a sense, in the ocean midway between the two islands is the point where one island unloads and the other loads in. I do not believe you will see many sharks around these points as I don’t think they can cross those boundries.

Sharks do not always spawn around shipwrecks but will spawn around islands in deeper parts of the ocean. Can you elaborate more on this if you believe there is an issue occuring in your save?

Is this issue still being worked on? None of the custom islands I’ve created spawn any sharks at all. All islands created since release 2111 and still no sharks

Hi Scott.bocking,

Other players had mentioned this issue on the forums recently and I have passed the info they shared onto the team so they can investigate further. While I believe this is still something the team are looking into, I know some other issues have taken priority over it.

Can you confirm for me if when placing custom islands you have checked them after 7 in-game days? This may rule out the chance that this is a delayed spawning issue vs sharks never spawing at all around these islands.

Edit: I forgot to ask, when creating the custom islands, do you get a notification that some limits may be exceeded and that some items may be reduced? If so, can you try creating an island with the bare minimum + sharks to see if they spawn in your save then? I’ve also asked the team to check if it’s possible sharks could not be spawning because of limitations of items on islands.

Thank you.

Hi Clare

Thanks for coming back to me.

I have now created a new island with minimal objects and have checked on it each day up to 14 in game days, and there are still no sharks spawning at all
One thing i would say is that when creating an island on console, unless i’m doing something wrong, i don’t see an option to add sharks or shark spawners - I assumed they were added by default?

Thanks,

Hi Scott.Bocking - sorry for my delay in responding.

Sorry for my confusing message, I am getting my custom maps mixed up, you are correct there is no specific spawner for sharks, they should appear automatically.

Thank you for taking the time to create an island in your save with minimal objects and check it after 14 days. This would have me believe there is an issue with the spawner itself rather than a delayed spawning - though I am not a dev so I will share this info with them and let them investigate further.

Would you mind letting me know your seed number? This should be at the bottom of the cartographer and while it shouldn’t affect sharks spawning, it may help the team try and recreate some of your setup for testing internally.

Thanks again!

Hi
The seed I’m playing is #84815979, however I’ve tried on a few different seeds and save slots and I’m getting the same results on all of them as far as I can tell
Thanks

Thanks for the seed number and confirming you’ve seen it in multiple seeds and save slots, I’ll pass all of this onto the team.

Just to add to this been playing for years and sharks have never spawned on custom islands ever and i know other people have said the same :+1:

1 Like

I appreciate the confirmation Breckabick, it helps me to confirm how wide spread an issue is. And it does seem like this affects almost everyone.

Another xbox player here and likewise ive been playing this game for as long as i can remember and ive never seen a shark at a custom island before which personally i quite like

2 Likes

Hello im a Xbox player. I created my first custom island and I have not have any sharks spawn around the island. I was swimming around the island for 30+ minutes and not sharks. I even went to another island that was a standard non custom island and there were sharks but i just can’t find any on my custom island. I heard thats its a known issue for custom islands and that there’s no work around. Is it an issue the developers looking to fix in the future?

They know about this issue