[Known Issue][PS4/XB1] Loss of interactions

Confirm changing settings to repair

(I play on PS4)

Hi! I started replaying this game for console a few days ago bit yesterday is when I had the most problems.

[ * What time of day was it in game when this issue triggered?

<Around noon real time, around late afternoon in game.>

• Were you on and island or sailing?
    < On an island, and it only happened when I was on islands but no problem during sailing.>

• Did you notice any usual sounds?
    <In the beginning, no.>

• What was the weather like, any storms or rainfall?

• Were there any seagulls or bats present?
    <Seagulls.>

• When this occurs, can you intereact with items closer to the water?
    <For me, water distance (closer/farther) doesnt let me interact>

• If you stay in the game, does the interactions return and go again?

• If this is occuring for you in a cycle, have you noticed if it lines up with an objects such as your water still refilling or items cooking?
    ]

I made an account just to give a report about this.

YESTERDAY
-I can interact with my boat and sail about but when I got to another island other than my main one? Lost interaction
-I did not World Edit or change the chartopraphy what so ever prior to save.
-This happened across all of my save files.
-I am not in multiplayer/co-op/ online mode
-Game is fully updated
ā†’ at one point the game advised a map i was using was outdated, let me update- and the problem persisted.
-System was not overheating
-The game did not crash on me
-Lost the ability to save after a while, even 2 in-game days passed on one save file.
-All of my save files were under 20 days old, in-game
-EXITED OUT OF GAME - no change when I restarted game
-RESTARTED CONSOLE- no change when I restarted game
-Console is to date on all system/game updates.
-Tried to make an island larger/smaller as someone mentioned it helped- it didnt.
-I have Wildlife on PASSIVE, on DEFAULT NORMAL DIFFICULTY, only game edits are wildlife and volume of music

(LAST NIGHT)
I begrudgingly deleted all my save files, started on a ew see chartopraphy across all save files. Went to bed.

(TODAY)
Been playing for a couple hours and all seems well (I have 2 save files- one where I am on day 2, another in am currently playing on day 1) but now I am noticing the following that I didnt notice yesterday:

-No storms/rain fall. (Now that I think about it, there hasnt been any in-game storms for about 2 days/3 days)
-During the day, there are back squeaks and bats but when I look up? Seagulls.
-Bat squeaking/night time sounds during the day play in the water while I am swimming
-No killer crabs on starter island (not sure if this is normal or not, I recently picked the game back up and prior there were no giant hogs or giant crabs- just the tiny pigs)
-Seed island number (got it off another forum) reports there to be 6 shipwrecks on the starter island- there were only 4, that may just be me.

I will edit this as I come across more and I hope this was helpful.

UPDATE: 10-3-2021, 12:17 (noon) MST/Arizona timezone
-It is now stroking in game.

Just confirming it does work as well on the PS5. I had to go back to the main menu then back in and everything is registering again.

1 Like

The only thing I changed was the volumetric clouds from the main menu. Was able to go into my save do a couple of things (chop down tree, collect coconuts) and would stop working with them on. Exited to main menu turned then off went back into saved game performed same action and things continued to work.

Does changing view settings to third person and exiting to main menu make it work for you?

Hello,

I have several videos that I am not able to upload to this thread if there is somewhere I can send them.

These are the details we are able to provide with a coop game we started experiencing this issue with.

• We are not working off a previous game version save. We started a new game after the new update.

• We are on day 5 and saved at 12:40. When we join the bug happens with limited interaction at 13:55. 41 to 43 real time seconds after we join. We are able to interact but it is very difficult to find the right position to point to interact. We generally have to be right on top of the item looking down.

• I did remove all coconuts from the tree shortly before this save because we were going to chop down all trees to start a raft. All coconuts are laying down beside a pile of rocks, 3 picked pipi plants, 3 crates, and a pile of container walls. The piles of items seem to be easy to interact with with the exception of the container walls. You still have to be right on top of these to drag.

5 days survived
33 items crafted
8 animals killed
2 islands explored - Starting island and then the island the bug happened on was directly SE of big ship.
2 ships scavenged

• Last night when we got to this island music kept playing but nothing was around at the time. We had just killed 2 bigger crabs on the beach around this time but we were gathering resources when the music was playing. No storms were occurring. There was a storm a little bit before our save when we quit last night around 9 p.m PST. We didnā€™t join the game again until this morning at about 10:30 a.m PST.

• When we saved and quit 2 fires were going and each had a piece of meat cooking.

• Something interesting we tested was that every time we joined the game the bug happened at the exact same 41-43 seconds after joining but if the secondary character quits and joins again the game loads them in and then the bug doesnā€™t happen until 1 min 30 real time seconds, and then secondary character quits and join for a third time and bug doesnā€™t happen for another 1 min 45 seconds, then the secondary character quits and join again and the bug doesnā€™t happen for another 2 min 7 seconds. All the while the main host is still in the game. As soon as the secondary character quits and then joins the bug goes away for a longer period of time. Iā€™m assuming this is because the game reloads each time but the duration between the bug occurring becomes longer.

I hope this helps. :slight_smile: So excited to continue our multiplayer game.

Well it worked for a little bit but then it went back to no hitboxes. But after going for two days couching and trying to find the one tiny spot it was some positive news getting it to respond for a little bit

2 Likes

I havenā€™t gotten it to happen again, yet. Iā€™m on PS4, single player, day 35. Still trying to break it again.

I have two saves goingā€¦the second save is still working so will keep playing and saving and see how long itā€™ll continue to work

Works on xbox too. You should apply for a job, they need someone to figure things out

1 Like

What works on Xbox exactly?

On Xbox1 S and can confirm. This seems to work.

1 Like

WORKAROUND

I can confirm this works. Not sure which setting fixed it but this is what I did/happened to me:

Game was still paused from previous testing.
Quit to Main Menu.
Switched to Save Slot 1 (original 91 day game) and game crashed (PS4).
Restarted, switched to Save Slot 1.
Whilst in Main Menu, turned off clouds.
Loaded game, still bugged.
Quit to Main Menu, turned on clouds, turned on 3rd person view.
Loaded game, still bugged.
Quit to Main Menu, turned back to 1st person view, turned off animals.
Loaded game, EVERYTHING WORKS.

So not sure if 1,2, or all 3 settings had an effect. And if changing settings in Main Menu rather than in game makes a difference. But fiddle with it and it seems to fix it.

Now just to see if it comes backā€¦

2 Likes

Actually, I think it just prolonged the inevitable. Seems the hit boxes are slowly sinking away. :frowning:

Correction. They did sink away. Game is once again broken.

Atleast this gives us a chance to play while they fix it. I still donā€™t know what causes it, and Iā€™ve been trying to make it happen for about 2 hours now.

Iā€™m still curious if the game isnā€™t somehow drifting away from the hit boxes. Seems the 3rd person view just gives you a longer reach for a little longer.

Note: The game editor still doesnā€™t work doing this.

Tried this, been doing it before with just animals and it seemed to work but only momentarily. Tried disabling animals, clouds and third person. Quit to main menu, re-launched and saved so now it at least loads in working correctly. On ps5 solo btw.

However, even if I just stand there, the bug happens again like itā€™s on a timer. Takes about 20 seconds then I lose the ability to access stuff again unless itā€™s near sea level.

Update: Was tinkering around to try and see of I could get it past that time frame of the bug engaging and now nothing works anymore. :rofl:

Dieing of thirst again. :frowning: I think after this is fixed the Devs should add a case of beer to drift to the island for our character to enjoy for his sufferingā€¦

My saved game prior to the update I experienced the same thing would seem to work for a little while and then would bug out. Slot 2 contained a new game after the update, still experienced the same bug of not being able to interact with anything above sea level, but after I turned off the animals and clouds still working for me. Iā€™ve noticed that my game seemed to bug out after I had leveled upā€¦my slot 1 game because of where I had saved it I need to go to another island to save there and will see if turn on the clouds and then turning them back off will trigger it to work normal again

Absolute nightmare unplayable , got this on ps+ and was gonna buy but not right now, a few games and about 25 hours in getting loss of interactions , makes the game a complete waste , please sort out , a great game when it worked before death update