[Known Issue][PS4/XB1] Loss of interactions

Had a crude hammer fall through my island. No interaction issues yet

Hi @Clare

Sorry, don’t mean to bug you and I know you’ve got multiple threads to sort through, but I was just curious:

Is it still helpful for us to still provide information/observations surrounding the interaction glitch for the team to assess, or are we at a point where the team is aware of what is causing it, has tested it, and we are simply just awaiting the update.

Just wanted to know and make sure it’s not something where the team is “aware of the issue” but still isn’t 100% sure on what’s going and is shy about admitting it, or if it is indeed something they’ve figured out, solved, and like I said, we are just playing the waiting game for the update?

Figured I’d ask to a) save you and others some time, and b) make sure there’s nothing else the community can provide as far as observations to help.

Just cause I was able to play yesterday for a while, made note of some things, bug hit me again, then was able to play a bit today before the bug hit again.

Thanks again Clare for your patience.

Update 10-13-2021
I upgraded to a PS4 Pro and data transferred from my old ps4 to the new one, and have been playing for 2 days-

Im on day 13 in game, with wildlife and clouds removed, and I have gotten to 5- YES, 5!- Islands where I have had full interaction ability

Islands: Starter, Home base/main island (a cliff island), two flat islands and one other cliff island.

I need Hide, so Im going to save and put animals back to default (I wanna try to kill sharks) in the main menu then- I will probably reply here and check in to see if I lose interaction or not.

Either way, I also rank this up with Age of Empires II on my top favorite games :slight_smile:

1 Like

I can’t say I have any idea what triggers the loss of interactivity, it seems to happen at random with no apparent cause; but I did discover a couple of things about the bug:

1. Sometimes you can briefly interact with items when dropped from the inventory and I stupidly saved when I dropped a sleeping bag before it lost interactivity and found out that saving when the bug is active means the bug remains active on the file any time it is reloaded so when the bug happens DO NOT SAVE YOUR GAME!!!

2. Apparently the bug expects the players to become merfolk because it seems like anything underwater isn’t affected by the bug so ships can still be scavenged, anything normally intractable can still be interacted with as long as it’s submerged. (I figured that out while desperately trying to find a way save my 118 days slot one file from the stupid bug.)

Just thought these little tid bits could be helpful for the debugging process. Other than the stupid bug I love this game and the bug, while frustrating, hasn’t deterred me from playing but I do hope the bug is fixed quickly.

Hi Daxter,

When I originally edited the posts to announce that the team believed they had found the cause of the issue, I included the comment that if player’s wanted to continue sharing their experience in the threads they should feel free to do so. There are a few main reasons behind this.

The first reason is that even though the team have found the main cause of the issue, as well as some rarer triggers, and have built a fix (no stalling or shyness here, this is fact), if someone were to report something wildly different to what everyone else is saying, I would want to report that to the team as it could require further investigation. At the time when they were still working on the fix this would’ve been equally as important.

Secondly, the community is helping each other in understanding the issue and sharing tips and tricks while the team is working to get the fix out. While using workarounds is never the ideal scenario, some users are happy to use and share them - sometimes knowing workarounds can also help with resolving issues too, so if a new one is found, I would report this to the team also.

Lastly, some players will want to share their experience anyway. I have no problem with this. I have also found this can help others in the community not feel so alone with the issue - particularly if there are variations to an issue. Or sometimes just sharing your experience can help with how frustrating and disheartening an issue like this can be. I totally understand this and so long as player’s stick within the rules of the forums, I’m not going to stop them.

I hope that helps to answer your question. I understand where you’re coming from with it and I appreciate you asking in a clear and respectful manner :slight_smile:

UPDATE 10/14

The patches have been submitted to Sony and Microsoft and the team have asked for any extra speed where possible. Rather than leaving players waiting, as soon as a patch is ready the team will publish it, so the fixes for XBox and PlayStation won’t be released at the same time but all going well shouldn’t be too far apart.

I know there are some users who have reported experiencing a very similar (if not the same) issue on the Switch too, the Switch’s port was done by a different company and I don’t have any updates on that yet but I’ll probably start a separate thread on that and get you any information I can.

[Edit: fixed some errors from me typing so fast and changed XB1 and PS4 to "XBox and PlayStation]

8 Likes

UPDATE 10/14 - Part 2

I’ve been told XBox is approved and will be rolling out today. At the moment the hope is that the PlayStation patch will be approved and released tomorrow - I’ll keep the community updated if this changes at all.

9 Likes

Hell yeah can I kiss your feet lol :rofl:

Does that include series s and x?

@Lobster - yup! Sorry I should probably have said Xbox and Playstation - my bad, I’ll edit that now.

Hmm, I should probably also mention, in case anyone is wondering, that this patch only covers the interaction issue. That was the teams main focus because they wanted to get it fixed out out to the community asap.

3 Likes

are the team aware that cod are falling through the map, and drifting out to sea? I did a little testing and found that I could drop cod near the shore, and it would fall through the sand, and then apparently land in ocean that is below the sand, and it then drifts outwards, and then comes back through the map, which is why people are finding some of their items on the shore. I’ve also seen this happen with planks. Is this what triggered my save to break again? It was working fine after turning wildlife off, but then just decided not to work anymore.

1 Like

Thank you so much I really appreciate it!

1 Like

They are aware there are items falling through the map and reappearing, yes - I have an additon to one of my reports on this. It is my understanding that part of the fix is designed to prevent the issue from triggering should something fall through the map. They found that while Snakes and Boars were the main cause, an object like planks etc, could result in the same issue. This is why the issue could retrigger for those who used the workaround, or if the issue was originally triggered by something other than snakes, resetting their spawn cycle with the wildlife workaround wouldn’t work. Boars are not included in the wildlife reset as far as I know because their default is passive anyway :thinking:

1 Like

hopefully my save isn’t totally screwed now it has triggered again. It seems it is now not possible to drop cod without them falling through the map. do you know if the bug fix will fix already triggered maps in addion to preventing them from occurring again?

@Clare I know the issue is now done with and we just now waiting for the ps to get it sorted on there end now but I like to say can we have planks metal and cloth wash up in the beach after a storm that world be cool.

1 Like

Yes, I asked Sam about this yesterday and he said it should retroactively fix saves as well as prevent further issues.

3 Likes

ok, that’s fantastic. Thanks, Clare.

2 Likes

For me, I have been on 1 island now for quite a while. I explored all others and gathered many resources, and spent most of my time building and making my base island .
I hadnt noticed this Interaction Bug untill I took my raft to a different island and tried to cut trees , pick plants, smash rocks and the like … None of this was working .
I tried 2 other different islands and its the same issue. cant chop a tree, yukka or anything of real need.
The Island I am on when I load the game seems to be fine. I can pick my plants and fruit, build, light fires, cook food all the essentials. Just I cant do anything on any other island.
There was an update the other day but I think that was just to add the multiplayer function. which seems to have buggered the game up some.
Apparently this Interaction Bug has been a thing for over a week now.
I hope they fix it really really soon.

No interaction as yet with cartographer on xbox1

AAAHHHHH!!! I see snakes! Where there were none! This is a very good sign! SCHWEEET!

On the bright side…I now have 4 starter islands all set up and ready to go and
continue without having to worry about starting from scratch.

1 Like