(graphic problems) flickering shadows

Hello, i have a problem with this game. i have flickering shadows and textures.
at the begin of the game no problem, but now i in the 32th days and explore map.
all islands flickenring… the trees and rock flickenring… is very annoying for my eyes…

I dont understand the problem. I have a nvidia asus strix 970 and 32 gb of ram, i7 5820k.
testing with all options and directx or glide… its the same things…
i have the lasted drivers…

ideas to help me?.. i love this game but these blinks are unbearable. Sorry for my english…

best regards

Hi mokilok,

Thanks for going to the trouble to share footage of this.

I have a few questions for you that will enable me to submit a bug report on your behalf:
(Some of these you have already provided answers for)

What is the game version?
The number at the bottom left of the main menu is the game version.**

Please provide your specs including OS, CPU, RAM and GPU model.
Need OS here please

When you restart the game and your PC do you still encounter this issue?

What is the game Seed of your session?
On PC this number can be found at the top right of the Cartographer (the Cartographer is on the main menu).

What graphics settings are you using in game, a screenshot of your settings page might best illustrate this.
You mentioned it’s the same on all settings.

Were any settings changed from the default? Have you added any custom islands?

Are you using any Mods or have you modified the game in anyway?

Hello, thanks for your response.

My version of the game: 0.76.01

My computer: motherboard Asus X99-A
i7 5820k, no overclock
Asus Strix gtx 970
32 Gb ram corsair 2133mhz in quad channel
Windows 10 version 1909 (ver. 18363.1256)

Yes, if i restart my pc, i have the same problem.

the game Seed of my session is # 812 917 40

my options graphics in the game: (view the photo 1 et 2)
i have not installed mods and i have not create custom island.
this is the free Epic Game version.

I finished the game anyway, it was just hard on my eyes but it’s still playable. very good game.

1 Like

I have exectly the same problem, game was fine for a long time (24hrs playing) suddenly shadows are filckering. I have tried all graphical setups. For me this is unplayable now :frowning:

Game version: 0,76,01

Windows 10 pro ver. 10.0.19042
motherboard X470 GAMING PRO CARBON (MS-7B78)
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Eight-Core Processor, 4150 MHz
64 gb ram, Gskill Aegis 3200
Palit GTX 1070 JetStream
game seed: 48 276 71

o mods and not create custom island.
this is the free Epic Game version as well.

3 Likes

I’m also running the Epic version, everything was running fine until day or so ago when I started to get crazy shadow flicker and FPS tanking. I’m running RTX 3090 at 1440p and it’s near unplayable now, even with most graphics settings low!

2 Likes

Same thing for me but I’m on steam — worked fine for 40+ hrs but shadows started flickering last time I turned it on… so intense that it’s hard to even look at the screen with literally every shadow dancing and flickering. Cycling through the different antialiasing options helped slightly (I’d been playing with fxaa with no issues; txaa seems to have the most affect on the shadows).

Playing on a decent setup —i7, gtx 1660… just bizarre that it happened so many hours in.

1 Like

Same here shadow flickering I have omen 15 ryzen 7 4800h and rtx 2060 tested with all possible settings and disabling shadows is the only thing that makes it go away

1 Like

Thanks for the updates everyone, all of your contributions are being added to the bug report.

1 Like

I like to add two observations:

1. For me, the flickering shadow problem gets worse the more far away I am from my home island. I don’t have the problem on my home island. And I didn’t notice it on neighbor islands of the start island. But it is the worst on islands which are the most far away.
    This somehow points to an accuracy problem depending on coordinates. Maybe related to floating point, or to accuracy issues in the graphics algorithm?
    This also explains why I didn’t notice the problem in the beginning, when I started with stranded deep, and the more you explore the worse it gets. And this fully confirms to what others players like mokilo, jurand, Burnhill and Dankoceandean described.

2. For me, the flickering is a bit reduced, if I choose TXAA Anti-Aliasing. With FXAA or SMAA the flickering effect is much stronger. But I assume that this is just due to the nature of the Temporal Anti-Aliasing, which softens the flickering.

PS:

• Version 0.76.01, Epic, PC
    • Game Mode: DirectX 11.0
    • Fullscreen Mode: Exclusive
  • Custom graphics settings
    • every single setting set to the highest possible and every effect turned on.
    • TXAA anti aliasing.
    • 1920x1080.
    • No vsync.
    • No fixed frame rate.
  • Intel i5-8400
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
    • Game Ready driver version 461.72
  • Windows 10 Home
    • 20H2
1 Like

have you checked your gpu temp? I’ve found issues like that before in other games and which made me realize i forgot to run my gpu software to control the fans. If that’s not an issue try checking your cables followed by tweeking a few in game settings.

You … wait … what!!!

What in the name of Lusca did you do with your PC settings? If you forget to activate a program your GPU fans are not running or not running fast enough and your GPU starts overheating? How did you misconfigure your system in such a crazy way? This might easily ruin your GPU and definitely reduces live time of your GPU and increases the risk of total failure. Why are you doing such a thing like stopping or slowing down your fans? Is your system too loud?

Fans are usually always controlled by temperature and usually any tool for controlling the fan defines the fan speed by a curve over the GPU temperature. Usually you get a default curve for your system. And the golden rule is: Never change the curve for the high temperatures to a lower speed than the default curve! You might slow down the fans for the lower temperatures, because there it doesn’t matter and you get a more silent system for idling. But for high temperatures the fan is needed and you never do any significant reduction of the fan speed in this area.

My system is cold, and it is really, really silent. For Stranded Deep with highest settings, 67 °C average, maximum 75 °C, with a GeForce GTX 1060.