Epic - 0.76.01 - De-constructing walls bug

Summary
If you build a platform, and then add walls of any type to it, and then later decide lets say you want a half-wall instead of a window - You can destroy the existing wall, but it will not let you replace it with a different wall type, only the same wall that existed there prior.

Seed
Any

Settings
bone stock no custom/mods

Steps
none

Extras
none

2 Likes

Hi DuckmanDM,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, we’ll investigate and submit a bug report on your behalf.

I can confirm this issue. It happend to me at least 3 times when I tried to deconstruct a wall and wanted to replace it with a wall with door. However, it does not happen every time. I don’t know when or why the issue happens and when it does not happen.

I found out, that as a workaround you can destroy the floor next to the wall and rebuild it. Then you can build any wall type you like.

This screenshot shows an example where I removed a wall part, but I was not able to build the wall with door:

After removing and rebuilding this floor, …

… I was able to build the wall with door:

Seed

• no custom islands

Settings

• Version 0.76.01, Epic, PC
    • Game Mode: DirectX 11.0
    • Fullscreen Mode: Exclusive
  • Custom graphics settings
    • every single setting set to the highest possible and every effect turned on.
    • TXAA anti aliasing.
    • 1920x1080.
    • No vsync.
    • No fixed frame rate.
  • Intel i5-8400
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
    • Game Ready driver version 461.72
  • Windows 10 Home
    • 20H2

Hi guys,

Can you confirm if this is still happening for you in the latest update?
In my testing I can only recreate this issue if trying to build a half wall after deconstructing wall in the same spot.

Yes, the problem exists still in 0.80.00, Epic, PC. But you made the right observation, Night_Snake. As I said, the problem does not happen every time. And I think you found out why.

I made some tests with brick window walls and half wall, which were build in 0.76.01. I am now in version 0.80.00. If I deconstruct a brick wall with window, then I can build …

• brick wall
  • brick wall with window
  • brick door frame
  • wood wall
  • wood wall with window
  • wood door frame
  • NO brick half wall
  • NO wood half wall

If I deconstruct a brick half wall, then I can build …

• NO brick wall
  • NO brick wall with window
  • NO brick door frame
  • NO wood wall
  • NO wood wall with window
  • NO wood door frame
  • brick half wall
  • wood half wall

Then I made the same test with a completely new wood foundation which I build in 0.80.00. I have build a wall, a wall with window, a half wall and a door frame (all wood). Then I deconstructed all four.

• At the place of the half wall I can only build a half wall.
  • At the place of the others I can build only all the others but not the half wall.

So I think it is clearly a “half wall :left_right_arrow: no half wall” issue, in both directions.

1 Like

This is the brick wall with window and brick half wall, which was build in 0.76.01, and which I teared down in 0.80.00, as described above:

Here is an example, that I can’t build a wall at the place where the half wall was:

Here is an example, that I can’t build a half wall at the place where the wall with window was:

And here is the completely new wood foundation build in 0.80.00, which I used to experiment as described in the last sections above: