Bases at every island

I know I am making a lot of threads but trying:

1. to get this forum active
  2. get some questions/ideas of mine answered
  3. help others who might have same issues.

Anyway, with this particular question. Do most people tend to make one base and venture out from there or do you make mini bases at all islands? I was debating on making a tent, water purifier, and camp fire/smoker at every island. Do you think this is smart or a waste of material that could be used to make the home camp just out of this world? My current home base I am working on a 3 story building with a deck and garden on top.

1 Like

I have gone and put water still and camp fire on all island besides my custom islands as I am constantly remaking them to farm materials.

On my raft I keep the following materials in crates to make

Camp fire
Water still
Plank Station

I also carry a sleeping bag so no need to make shelter in all islands.

Stored on my raft I also have some rations and baked beans and some antidotes.

1 Like

How do you make room for the storage on your raft? I know the ps4 cant use shelves to place crates like the PC. I did see a go-around on a video where you make a raft but the middle tile, you make the raft base but not a raft floor. This gives you a little cut out where you can place 4 crates and they will not fall off raft. However, that still really only gives 12 slots. All those materials would take over half those slots. I feel like I can never really move materials from island to island without making 10 trips. Very time intensive.

Also, why plank station? For the infinite refined ax? I just learned about that and that is awesome!!! Which brings me to hammer, is there a way to get better hammers? I have gone through like 10 making my house and its not even 1/4 done.

1 Like

Shelves can be built on rafts on ps4 since patch 5.

3 Likes

You can put shelves on a raft on PS4

As for why a plank station I use it to turn all the tree I chop down into planks of wood, it beats bringing all the logs back to base first.

Also you can find Refined Hammers in chests and cupboards/lockers on boats etc

1 Like

I place a Base Camp (shelter, water still, and Fire pit) on every island. When moving island to island i usually stay long enough to need sleep food and water so knowing that these basic amenities are on each island makes the trips a little less stressfull.

Needess to say, when im heading to a new island i take the materials needed to craft a base camp.

3 Likes

Awesome! Thank you for the tips! I didn’t think we could do shelves. This will open up so much more for me!!!

1 Like

Yup, I do this exact same thing, along with smoker on top of fire pit for every island. I do same when moving to new island so that I don’t have to stress about crafting these when landing. I’m ready to go right out the gate.
Also, as a side note regarding crates, remember, you can carry up to 9 crates on your person without having to worry about securing them in the Raft.

Personally, I will focus on building my base camp before even exploring the island I start with. My first target is always to make a knife and axe. Once those are done, I collect loose sticks, rocks, fibrous leaves, and one palm bunch. From there, I make my shelter first, followed by a camp fire, which should allow crafting a few more things needed to make the water still. I always save my cloth to craft the Smoker and Still as you can always craft a loom later to make cloth.

Once I pick the island that I’ll be living off of, then I’ll begin considering what I’ll build for my main camp. I pick my island based on how many fibrous leaves I can gather per respawn, and what resources are present to start with. Food is a minimal concern, as I always craft a fishing rod (even if it does use up bouys, it’s still good for grabbing deeper fish without wasting an air tank), and my primary weapon goal is a Speargun for efficient hunting (I have better hunting skill with that than thrown stuff in the game). My secondary concern is where my island is positioned relative to the central island. The closer to the central island, the easier it’ll be to navigate (for me) when it’s time to finally consider endgame content (for me, that’s the 3 bosses and ending the game).

I’ll still always craft a smoker and water still on every island I visit, just so I’m never stranded without a water source and can bring back meat without it spoiling halfway home.

Do u have to be carrying the meat for it not to spoil? Forgot some on the smoker and it spoiled.

you have to leave the fire going after the meat is cooked until it says (smoked cooked meat) instead of just (cooked meat). there is two different timers. 1st timer goes off tells you the meat is cooked. second timer tells you meat is smoked. smoked meat will not spoil. hope this helps.

Unless this has changed, cells in which you aren’t present aren’t affected in the sense of water accumulation, this means plots won’t refill nor will water stills when it rains, but they will drain passively. I don’t invest plots on any island that I’m not making a “main” base, as it’s just not efficient to manually water and have to make visits routinely.

Additionally if you strip islands like myself, there’s really no need to revisit islands if you’ve completed that, which isn’t too much of an issue if you have 4x clay flasks and some dried meat.