PS4 v1.09 - v1.11 Crashing when saving at tent

Hi EDenney,

I’m sorry to hear you’re experiencing issues with crashing in your save. The update to 1.09 was a small technical update required by Sony and should not be affecting your game. I will not rule it out, but I want to ask a few questions to make sure it’s not being caused by something else first…

Please let me know:

• Is this a multiplayer or single player game?

• Was this save created before the update to version 2071? or is it a save that was created recently?

• Do you experience any FPS drops / lag in your save?

• Do you have a significant amount of loose items in piles around your island? If so, are any of them near or around your shelter?

• Have you tried saving using a sleeping bag or on a different island? If so, are the issues the same?

• Have you changed any of your options in the game?

• Have you changed any console settings or does your profile on your console have any restrictions in place?

Any extra information you can provide about your gameplay and setup would be greatly appreciated as it can help me to determine if this is an issue the team are aware of or if it is one that would need separate investigation.

Hi Clare, responses to your questions can be found below, along with any pertinent information at the bottom that I could think of. It’s a pretty serious problem, given the constant loss of progress.

Hi EDenney,

I’m sorry to hear you’re experiencing issues with crashing in your save. The update to 1.09 was a small technical update required by Sony and should not be affecting your game. I will not rule it out, but I want to ask a few questions to make sure it’s not being caused by something else first…

Please let me know:

• Is this a multiplayer or single player game?
    -Single player, I haven’t touched multiplayer.

• Was this save created before the update to version 2071? or is it a save that was created recently?
    -I didn’t even install and start playing the game until the day after the 2071 update was released (unfortunate timing for me). These are all 2071 games/saves.

• Do you experience any FPS drops / lag in your save?
    -Only when saving the game (things like water almost completely freeze), and briefly when sailing when a new quadrant loads (more of a glitchy fps drop than an almost freeze like when saving).

• Do you have a significant amount of loose items in piles around your island? If so, are any of them near or around your shelter?
    -I have many items/crates piled up and staged on my main island (who doesn’t?), but this crash can occur on an island I’ve just discovered and built and tent on. I do of course travel with a moderate amount of supplies for settling new islands, but I may save successfully 5 or 10 times with those same items with me, then have it randomly crash on a save. I do not having anything near my shelter on my main island. All of my looted items are on the opposite side of the island.

• Have you tried saving using a sleeping bag or on a different island? If so, are the issues the same?
    -Different islands definitely still crashes, the crashing seems to be completely random when saving. Also crashes with sleeping bag.

• Have you changed any of your options in the game?
    -Only the animal settings, as suggested in the “workaround” (with no success). I haven’t noticed any direct correlation between that setting and the crashing during save bug. It will occur randomly without changing ANY settings, but I can’t say for sure whether it only occurs randomly with a particular setting on.

• Have you changed any console settings or does your profile on your console have any restrictions in place?
    -Nope/nope

Any extra information you can provide about your gameplay and setup would be greatly appreciated as it can help me to determine if this is an issue the team are aware of or if it is one that would need separate investigation.

-I was at approximately day 80 (played entirely with the interaction bug) when I reported the problem. I had looted pretty much the entire map and brought most everything of value back to a central island. However I did not need to be in that quadrant for the crashes to occur, or have much with me or in my current quadrant. The crashing did NOT start occurring until at least 60-70 days into the game (coincidentally shortly after the newest update dropped in the U.S., although it might not be related).

-I started a new game after posting this initial report, with animals set to OFF right from the start to see if it would prevent the interaction glitch (it didn’t), and shortly after the interaction glitch started I set animals to passive so I could obtain rawhide and kill giant crabs for food. I’m now at day 47 in the newest game, and the save crashing started happening about 5 or 10 days ago, randomly, no matter where I am on the map. At this point in the newest game I’ve scavenged most of the map.
It’s now terrifying to save the game, knowing that I’m rolling the dice every time as to whether I’m going to lose all my progress since the last save.

-Might also be useful to know that just saving the game repeatedly over and over will result in the save crash, at least at my current point in the game (about day 50 on this save). I just saved three times in a row over a span of about 20 seconds and it crashed the third time. So it doesn’t require a period of time to elapse in the game or for anything at all to change. Just seems to be completely random, but always around every 5 to 10 times that I save (typically closer to 10).

Edit Just FYI I haven’t built any structures or furniture at all, except for a mid-size raft with 4 shelves on it, and a loom and tanning track (and tents/water stills around the map of course). I have no farms, haven’t done anything with vehicle or gyrocopter parts, and haven’t touched the airplane since that’s impossible with the interaction bug. Basically all I’ve been doing is looting and bringing items back to my home island.

Hi EDenney - thank you for that wealth of information. This is all very useful to know and I appreciate you taking the time to share it in such a clear way.

The fact that it is now occurring even with your newer save without having as many items on the island or any structures built would lead me to believe this is a separate issue to what has caused crashes in the past for players. I have also seen a fw players reporting similar to what you have described - in their case it is happening in older saves too.

As you have both a slightly older and newer save both from version 2071, would it be possible for the team to have a look at a copy of those save files? Please note that the team do not fix and return individual saves but they will be used to investigate what could be causing this issue for players and work to release a fix for the community as a whole.

If you’re happy to do so, to access the file:

1. Turn on PS4
  2. Insert an External USB Drive into one of the 2 USB ports on the front of the PS4.
  3. In the main menu, go to “Settings”
  4. Click on “Application Saved Data Management”
  5. Select “Saved Data in System Storage”
  6. Select “Copy to USB Storage Device”
  7. Select Stranded Deep
  8. Select all files and press “Copy”
  9. Wait until transfer is complete
  10. Remove External Drive
  11. Zip up all files copied to USB drive including “.bin” and “Profile” files
  12. Email us the Zip files to contact@beamteamgames.com - please include your forum username in the subject line and let me know here when you’ve sent it. That way I can quickly find and grab it for the team.

or, if unable to send the files via email you can upload the files to your Dropbox or other cloud file service and email us the link.

Thank you!

Hi Clare, I’ll follow the steps you requested and send you the saves later today.

On a related note, the game also crashes periodically when exiting to the main menu. I very rarely do that, since the save crashing bug is almost always what makes me leave the game, but given how infrequently I exit to the main menu from a game, I’ve actually had it crash a high percentage of the time. I don’t know if the two crashes are connected, but I’ll let you know if I determine anything more useful about it.

Hi Clare

I’ve zipped up the files and summarized what we’ve discussed along with some new information in the email I’m sending. As you probably guessed, the file size is too large for gmail, so it’s automatically providing a Google Drive download link to the file in the email. If you have any trouble retrieving it let me know and we’ll work something else out.

12 posts were merged into an existing topic: [Known Issue][PS4/XB1] Stuck in “Cleaning Up” phase on load

Sorry for the delay in responding to you EDenney - Thank you for sending that along! I’ll respond here with confirmation once I’ve retrieved the file and uploaded it for the team.

Commenting to confirm that I have retrieved your Save File EDenney and I copied the additional information you added into my report so the team can read it directly. Thank you for taking the time to send your files and for laying out all that additional info, it is very much appreciated.

No problem Clare. FYI, for these others who are reporting save or crashing issues, I’m not sure they’re related to the same issue I reported some days ago. It sounds like theirs are all following a brand new update (I’ve been gone all day and wasn’t even aware yet that an interaction bug update had been released), and it also sounds like their problems may be a bit different. I haven’t updated the game (if the ps4 update even existss yet), or played at all today, so I’ll check it out and let you know if I’m having the same save crashing issues, or perhaps new ones like others seem to be reporting.

Also, one piece of bad news for the developers regarding the save crashing issue… While it’s very possible for them to get it to crash while saving, it’s not an issue that cannot simply be “replicated”. For example: Last night, after doing some very mundane tasks on my home island, I threw a couple pieces of meat on the fire, saved at the nearby tent, got in the water to cool off while the meat cooked, and when it was finished I grabbed the meat, saved at my tent, and it crashed. So I reloaded the game (the meat was already on the fire since I had saved just before that), immediately got in the water to wait just as before, immediately grabbed the meat when it was done cooking just as before, then immediately saved at the tent as before, but no crash. All the same steps, in the same order, occurring at virtually the same time, all the same game conditions, but like I said, no crash the second time. Whenever I load up a save game, it never crashes right away even under the exact same conditions as just prior to the crash. It always takes another 20-60 minutes, so it’s not a situation where they can simply load up a save game, follow a prescribed set of steps, and have it crash :frowning: . I know those types of problems are difficult to diagnose for the developers since they’re difficult to recreate, and take precious time. But if they just run around doing the usual mundane stuff, and saving often, it should crash within 20 minutes to an hour from the saves I sent you.

Hi Clare

A little more feedback, now that I have installed and tested with the new update. 1.10 definitely fixed the interaction bug for me so far (hallelujah!), and I didn’t have to set animals to “default” like some others have needed to, or mess with cloud settings. It was set to “passive” before I updated, and that’s what it was on when I loaded my save and the interaction bug had gone away. I can’t tell how you good it feels to finally be able to function normally, considering the game has been broken from the first day I installed it. Thank you to you and the devs for addressing the issue as promptly as you could.

Anyway, that aside, I know this update was in no way intended to address the save crash that we’ve been discussing, but I just wanted to let you know that it still occurs, randomly, at the same frequency as before. Unlike others who have started posting in this thread though, who seem to be having the problem only after this update, on startup after the crash my game did not hang on the “cleaning” message many have reported, and started back up completely normally, at least after the one time it has crashed so far. I did not lose any saves or anything like that. Just the same issue we’ve discussed. I believe the others are experiencing a different albeit it similar problem than what I’ve been experiencing. Why that is, I’m not sure, and I only hope that I don’t start experiencing the same thing they are. Have to get some sleep, I’ll play some more tomorrow and see what happens.

Hi EDenney,

Thank you for continuing to update me with information on your experience with this issue. I have cleaned up and moved items from this thread to a known issues posts I have on the “Cleaning Up” hang. I believe you are right and these are two separate issues occuring though they looks similar as they can both start with crashes, however I have also heard reports of the same occurring without a crash involved.

Hi Clare.

This will probably be my last post regarding the save crashing bug we’ve been discussing for the last several days. After so many save crashes, paying attention to the conditions, and trying all sorts of tests, it appears to me that it’s related to how much “stuff” I’ve done since I started up the game. Not how much “stuff” I’ve done since I last saved, or even since I last loaded a save, but strictly since I actually started up the game and then loaded a save. For example, if I do a bunch of random tasks for 20 or 30 mins, manage to successfully save, exit to the main menu, reload that save, it may still save crash very shortly, as if I had still kept playing and doing stuff. However if I manage to save the game after 20 or 30 minutes of doing stuff, completely EXIT the game, then start back up and load the save, it seems to reset how long/how much stuff I can do before it may crash while saving again. It sort of feels like a memory leak, where the game becomes more and more unstable the more stuff I do since I last started up the game, creating the conditions where it may crash when saving. As I said previously though, this condition does not exist until later in the game, after I’ve looted most of the stuff on the map. Perhaps this will help steer the devs in the right direction as to what the problem might be.

Unfortunately, after playing for the last several hours and having my typical share of save crashes, I just experienced the save “freeze” that others started reporting with the new update. I’m stuck on cleaning like everyone else with the problem, so my save slot is now truly unplayable and I have to put down the game completely until a solution is found. I will post this in the proper section for that bug.

Let me know if you’d like me to send you the files again after experiencing this new issue. Perhaps my save slot may be more helpful than others, since you guys already have a copy of that same save slot from a couple days ago, before the 1.10 update and before I encountered this save “freeze”.

1 Like

@Clare

One quick update. Since 1.11 was released I decided to play one of my saves that 1.10 didn’t corrupt. I played for a couple hours last night and almost 5 hours today, and I didn’t get a save crash until the end of those 5 hours today. On one hand I’m just letting you know that it’s still happening (not the save freeze/cleaning up issue though), and on the other hand I wanted to let you know that it normally would have happened at least several times during that amount of playing, yet only happened once. Why that is, or whether it was just some highly unusual coincidence I don’t know. I was almost convinced that the 1.11 patch had also corrected the save crash bug, even if it wasn’t intentional, but that was wishful thinking.

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Console Issue report

Hi EDenney, thank you for those further updates. I shall update my report for the team. Should they request further save files or have any questions regarding your experience with either issues, I’ll post them here.

Edit: follow up, I checked my report to update the details you shared and the team commented that they included something in version 2074 to combat this. I have noted however you did experience a crash during a gameplay session where you’d normally have lots. I’d like to keep an eye on this and potentially treat it as a separate issue in case there was a secondary cause hidden amongst the original issue.

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: [Known Issue][PS4/XB1] Stuck in “Cleaning Up” phase on load

Okay Clare. I played several more hours yesterday after I posted that message. About 10 hours total. I experienced one save-crash that whole time and one exit-to-main-menu-crash. I had just saved successfully right before exiting to the main menu. The one save crash was exactly the same as before, same game slot I had sent you guys (slot 4 since slot 1 is now corrupted). With such infrequency it will be hard to identify the conditions, but I’ll keep track of how often it happens.

Don’t know if it’s related to their fix(es), but I have noticed that the game definitely lags much more when loading a new quadrant, and there’s a significant lag when opening each crate for the first time after entering a new quadrant. Not the end of the world, just annoying.

@Clare

Three more save crashes today during about eight real-time hours of game play. Just like my past save crashes at tent, just a little less frequent since the 2074 build. Still happening on various islands, not just my home island where I have all of my stuff built and crates piled up. Most recent time it crashed on save I had very little with me or on that island. Didn’t even have my raft and crates with me, I flew there on a gyrocopter. Just keeping you posted so you can pass along to devs.

The title of this thread is now outdated, since these crashes are currently with 1.11/2074. Let me know if you want me to create a new thread with the correct version in the title, or if you want to create a “known issue” thread, or just keep posting here.

Hi EDenney, thank you for those updates. I’m going to edit the title to include the latest updates. While I have a known issues post for crashing when saving, I would like to keep your thread going as it has really helped me when reporting to the team to keep all of your info together and I can easily reference it for the team.

Thank you for again for those updates. I’m submitting a new report on this crashing issue and will link back to your original save you sent for the team as they may still wish to use it for testing.

Please do keep me updated, especially if you start to notice a pattern in what could be triggering the crashes for you.

Several more hours of gameplay today, and several more crash saves. It’s every bit as bad as it was when I first reported it under 1.09/2071. I don’t know why it was initially much less frequent with 1.10 (before it destroyed that save slot), and with 1.11 on my other save slot, but it was very noticeably better for a day or two. Now it’s back to crashing randomly every 5 or so times that I save, give or take, and I save at least once every 5 or 10 minutes. I do have more items built, since I’m later in the game, though I don’t know if that’s relevant.

I’m a patient person, but this has gotten very frustrating, constantly losing progress and not remembering what you did or even where you went since the last save.

1 Like