PS4 v1.09 - v1.11 Crashing when saving at tent

Hi EDenney,

Thank you for continuing to update me with information on your experience with this issue. I have cleaned up and moved items from this thread to a known issues posts I have on the “Cleaning Up” hang. I believe you are right and these are two separate issues occuring though they looks similar as they can both start with crashes, however I have also heard reports of the same occurring without a crash involved.

Hi Clare.

This will probably be my last post regarding the save crashing bug we’ve been discussing for the last several days. After so many save crashes, paying attention to the conditions, and trying all sorts of tests, it appears to me that it’s related to how much “stuff” I’ve done since I started up the game. Not how much “stuff” I’ve done since I last saved, or even since I last loaded a save, but strictly since I actually started up the game and then loaded a save. For example, if I do a bunch of random tasks for 20 or 30 mins, manage to successfully save, exit to the main menu, reload that save, it may still save crash very shortly, as if I had still kept playing and doing stuff. However if I manage to save the game after 20 or 30 minutes of doing stuff, completely EXIT the game, then start back up and load the save, it seems to reset how long/how much stuff I can do before it may crash while saving again. It sort of feels like a memory leak, where the game becomes more and more unstable the more stuff I do since I last started up the game, creating the conditions where it may crash when saving. As I said previously though, this condition does not exist until later in the game, after I’ve looted most of the stuff on the map. Perhaps this will help steer the devs in the right direction as to what the problem might be.

Unfortunately, after playing for the last several hours and having my typical share of save crashes, I just experienced the save “freeze” that others started reporting with the new update. I’m stuck on cleaning like everyone else with the problem, so my save slot is now truly unplayable and I have to put down the game completely until a solution is found. I will post this in the proper section for that bug.

Let me know if you’d like me to send you the files again after experiencing this new issue. Perhaps my save slot may be more helpful than others, since you guys already have a copy of that same save slot from a couple days ago, before the 1.10 update and before I encountered this save “freeze”.

1 Like

@Clare

One quick update. Since 1.11 was released I decided to play one of my saves that 1.10 didn’t corrupt. I played for a couple hours last night and almost 5 hours today, and I didn’t get a save crash until the end of those 5 hours today. On one hand I’m just letting you know that it’s still happening (not the save freeze/cleaning up issue though), and on the other hand I wanted to let you know that it normally would have happened at least several times during that amount of playing, yet only happened once. Why that is, or whether it was just some highly unusual coincidence I don’t know. I was almost convinced that the 1.11 patch had also corrected the save crash bug, even if it wasn’t intentional, but that was wishful thinking.

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Console Issue report

Hi EDenney, thank you for those further updates. I shall update my report for the team. Should they request further save files or have any questions regarding your experience with either issues, I’ll post them here.

Edit: follow up, I checked my report to update the details you shared and the team commented that they included something in version 2074 to combat this. I have noted however you did experience a crash during a gameplay session where you’d normally have lots. I’d like to keep an eye on this and potentially treat it as a separate issue in case there was a secondary cause hidden amongst the original issue.

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: [Known Issue][PS4/XB1] Stuck in “Cleaning Up” phase on load

Okay Clare. I played several more hours yesterday after I posted that message. About 10 hours total. I experienced one save-crash that whole time and one exit-to-main-menu-crash. I had just saved successfully right before exiting to the main menu. The one save crash was exactly the same as before, same game slot I had sent you guys (slot 4 since slot 1 is now corrupted). With such infrequency it will be hard to identify the conditions, but I’ll keep track of how often it happens.

Don’t know if it’s related to their fix(es), but I have noticed that the game definitely lags much more when loading a new quadrant, and there’s a significant lag when opening each crate for the first time after entering a new quadrant. Not the end of the world, just annoying.

@Clare

Three more save crashes today during about eight real-time hours of game play. Just like my past save crashes at tent, just a little less frequent since the 2074 build. Still happening on various islands, not just my home island where I have all of my stuff built and crates piled up. Most recent time it crashed on save I had very little with me or on that island. Didn’t even have my raft and crates with me, I flew there on a gyrocopter. Just keeping you posted so you can pass along to devs.

The title of this thread is now outdated, since these crashes are currently with 1.11/2074. Let me know if you want me to create a new thread with the correct version in the title, or if you want to create a “known issue” thread, or just keep posting here.

Hi EDenney, thank you for those updates. I’m going to edit the title to include the latest updates. While I have a known issues post for crashing when saving, I would like to keep your thread going as it has really helped me when reporting to the team to keep all of your info together and I can easily reference it for the team.

Thank you for again for those updates. I’m submitting a new report on this crashing issue and will link back to your original save you sent for the team as they may still wish to use it for testing.

Please do keep me updated, especially if you start to notice a pattern in what could be triggering the crashes for you.

Several more hours of gameplay today, and several more crash saves. It’s every bit as bad as it was when I first reported it under 1.09/2071. I don’t know why it was initially much less frequent with 1.10 (before it destroyed that save slot), and with 1.11 on my other save slot, but it was very noticeably better for a day or two. Now it’s back to crashing randomly every 5 or so times that I save, give or take, and I save at least once every 5 or 10 minutes. I do have more items built, since I’m later in the game, though I don’t know if that’s relevant.

I’m a patient person, but this has gotten very frustrating, constantly losing progress and not remembering what you did or even where you went since the last save.

1 Like

Hi EDenney,

I have update my report for the team with your comments on the change in frequency back to what it was before. As there’s been two updates since your original report I’m sticking with a second report with a link back to the original. There was also a report from other player where they mentioned an older save with more items, but their crashes are less frequent so I’m not sure if it’s related to items or not - but have informed the team anyway.

I completely understand how frustrating this is, and disheartening too when progress is lost and again I appreciate you sharing these details and answering my questions. I hope the team can find a resolution to this soon for yourself and the other players affected.

@Clare

Played a few more hours today and had a few more save crashes, on and off my main island. No obvious rhyme or reason, just random, but at least once an hour as I go about typical game tasks. I finished the game, so I’m not sure if I’ll be playing any further. I would expect this to be a common, widespread problem since I can’t see anything unusual or special about the save slots I’ve experienced this problem with, other than they were at least mid-game saves when I started having problems. I kept playing straight through the interaction bug problem, whereas I think most others didn’t, so perhaps that’s one reason there hasn’t been a deluge of reports of this problem the last few weeks. Wish I could be more helpful. My best guess is that the game becomes increasingly less stable the more items you find and collect, and that combined with some other in game actions or events, creates the conditions where a save crash becomes more likely. I could be completely wrong though.

I can say that I never once had a save crash back to back, it always took at least 3 or 4 saves minimum before it happened, and it also seemed to require doing general random “stuff” before a save crash could occur. Just loading up and saving endlessly never caused a save crash after countless attempts, nor did just standing around doing nothing, and occasionally saving. At the same time, I never saw any common denominator between the “stuff” that I did and a subsequent save crash. Probably the only thing that I commonly did between every single save crash would of course be drinking water/chopping & collecting small palms or yucca/restocking water stills, simply because you can’t play for very long without doing those tasks.

Lastly, I’ve mentioned before I’ve also had it crash exiting to the main menu, and today for the first time I had it crash after a death, as it was trying to reload my previous save.

That’s all I’ve got for you, but if you’d like me to send the save I’ve been playing most recently let me know. I think I finished the game at day 129, and saved jut before leaving.

Hi EDenney - Thank you for that information. I’m glad you were able to make it to the end of the game despite the frustrating crashing issue you were experiencing and I understand deciding not to play further.

Thank you for mentioning the other crash types. I agree there could be a combination of issues here. I know this could be difficult for the team to replicate. I also agree with you that the reports of this were likely lessened due to players not playing through the interaction issue.

As it may help the team, if you’re still happy to send on your latest save, please do so and let me know here when you’ve sent is. As we still have a copy of your earlier save they may also be able to run some comparsions if they can replicate the issue in your newer save too.

Thank you once again for sharing all of this information with me and in such a clear way. This has been hugely appreciated and has certainly made getting the information on this issue to the team easier.

@Clare

No Problem. The very end of the game was certainly a surprise lol. I’ll send you a copy of my end-game save tomorrow.

Despite the horrid bugs, I decided to start another game today. Since this game was started with the 2074 build it will be interesting to see if it behaves any differently than my saves that were started under the 2071 build. This time I’m focusing on just escaping fairly quickly, so I may not even reach a point in the game where the save crashing starts. Day 20 and no save crashes so far, but it always begins later than that for me in my previous games. I don’t have much left to do to escape though so we’ll see.

It is a good game, and very unique. Maybe not for everyone but I can see a lot of people enjoying it. Just have to get the bugs ironed out.

edit I just finished the game on day 28, entirely with the 2074 build. No save crashes, however I never had save crashes this early in the game with my other saves. I also didn’t bother discovering and scavenging at least 1/3 of the islands, so I didn’t have as many items for the game to keep track of. The save process definitely get slower and laggier as the game progresses. I’ll still send you my other save tomorrow.

Thank you for letting me know how you got on with the purely 2074 save EDenney. I’m glad it didn’t start crashing and it does seem like it could be related to how old and established the save is in terms of bases and items. I’ll add this note to the team and if you could let me know when you are able to send the other file I’ll dive into the inbox and retrieve it for the team to look at.

A post was merged into an existing topic: [Known Issue][PS4/XB1] Stuck in “Cleaning Up” phase on load

Hello , I’ve been following this thread but I hadn’t been a member of these forums yet so I just made my account ! I have been active on a Facebook group and a discord for months though.

I seen a post on Facebook today where someone said when saving , pause for 5 seconds and have empty hands on , no carrying any object , and it shouldn’t crash when saving.

I thought it was pretty silly at first but I tried it several times and it works !

With my testing this morning , it seemed to always work on the first save from loading up the save , if I tried to save a second time it crashed.

I had exited to main menu after successfully save and went to reload and it crashed on load.

However my results is , you can load your game and be fine until your first save , pause and select empty hands , then save. Then simply close the app on console and reload the game.

I’ve had crashing on save happening to me since initially co op update . Today was the first day I could actually play my solo save!

Other notes , this save is on 397 days , lots of items on my main island as I have a castle built and other buildings , things would crash in the past if I went to another island even to save so the slight lag wasn’t an issue it seemed

Edit: I also have wildlife removed temporary, not sure if that’s a contributing factor , didn’t test with it on or passive yet

This is still happening with the most current PS4 update. Crashing when saving at the tent or sleeping bag. Just crashed again, pulling a tiger shark on to my raft…no saving…

Also…animals are attacking me on Passive. Full on. Load/ reload…doesn’t matter.

And the raft physics are completely broken… particularly when you step near the mast. I can make the raft go forwards (quickly) when I walk into the mast and backwards if I walk into the mast from the other side…the raft is anchored and sail inactive.

Not sure what to say at this point.

This update has been an utter disaster.

1 Like

@Clare, sorry it took so long, but I’m finally emailing you the save slot (slot 4) we’ve been discussing, where it was save crashing frequently up to the point that I finished the game on day 129 under the 2074 build. As you know, I sent you guys an earlier version of that same save, around day 80 something, that I originally started under the 2071 build.

Regarding my most recent game that I started under the 2074 build and escaped on day 28 without any save crashes up to that point, I wanted to let you know that I decided to continue on from my pre-escape save just to see when and if the save crashing might start, playing purely with 2074. It did in fact start at day 35. I’ve included that save slot (slot 2) in the same zip file you had requested.

That save slot consists of the last successful save prior to my first save crash (maybe 10-20 minutes before the crash). I have not played that slot at all since the first save crash on day 35. It may help the devs to see what the state of my game was on the day that it began. Also pass along that the only significant things I did between day 28 when I saved and escaped without any save crashes, and day 35 when the first save crash happened, was chopping down a lot of wood from various nearby islands, collecting stones, and moving those things to an island adjacent to my “home” island. I also tore down about 4 farms at my home island, and built 6 on that rocky island, so only a net gain of 2 additional farms.

I was preparing to start building some wood structures on that rocky island, which is why I collected all the wood, but didn’t get to start building before the crash. I did not discover any new islands, or loot new wrecks between day 28 and 35. I also saved successfully many, many times during those 7 days.

That’s about it…

Hi EDenney,

Thank you for sending that save along. I can confirm I have retrieved it and uploaded it for the team. I also copied and your comment and included it in my report so they can read your experience in your own words - thank you for including all of those details.

1 Like