[PS4][2083][Gameplay] - Binoculars broken after update

Summary
Binoculars no longer work properly. View through is working but no zoom functionality and sometimes the pixel circles remain when button is released and trying to go back to normal view.

Settings
Were any of your settings changed from the default options and have you added any custom Islands? Yes custom islands.

Steps
What steps, if known, can cause this issue to occur for you? Unknown

Extras
-Have you tried reloading your save, game or console? Yes failed.
-Have you tried clearing the cache of the console by shutting down for 2 mins before rebooting? Yes failed.
-Is there anything else you tried to alleviate the issue? Please let us know whether it was successful or not. No.

1 Like

Hi NgtHwk1,

Thank you for reporting this issue. I’ve seen a few players mention it after the update to 2083. I just want to confirm some extra information with you…

After using the binoculars, do you notice if your characters hands turn invisible? This may also be noticeable if you try to bring up the watch and the arm doesn’t show but the button guides to cycle through the watch screens appear at the bottom of your screen. Or have you noticed if you characters arm appears through the binoculars as if your character is still holding the last thing you were using? (Please see the photos shared by Charlie1992 for reference: Issue after patch/update 2083 - #4 by Charlie1992 )

As you mentioned the “binoculars no longer work properly” am I right in assuming that these binoculars you already had in a save that was updated to 2083 rather that a newly started save?

The same is happening to me an it’s the saved ones before the 2083 patch so does this mean I need to throw them a way an get new ones thanks

I noticed this yesterday as I was sailing back to my island. I stood on my raft and grabbed binoculars and I went to press zoom and binoculars at the same time (L2+R2) and I was stuck in a permanent zoom with the binocular circles around my character so I had no peripheral view. I tried to sleep and also recreate what I had done to get it unstuck but I ended up having to just close the app and start over.

[quote=“Clare, post:2, topic:4053”]
After using the binoculars, do you notice if your characters hands turn invisible?
- Yes character’s arms disappear.

This may also be noticeable if you try to bring up the watch and the arm doesn’t show but the button guides to cycle through the watch screens appear at the bottom of your screen.
- Yes watch is invisible.

Or have you noticed if you characters arm appears through the binoculars as if your character is still holding the last thing you were using? (Please see the photos shared by Charlie1992 for reference: Issue after patch/update 2083 - #4 by Charlie1992 )
- No not that I noticed.

As you mentioned the “binoculars no longer work properly” am I right in assuming that these binoculars you already had in a save that was updated to 2083 rather that a newly started save?
- Yes aquired prior to 2083 update.

@Clare

Same problem since the update yesterday, was working fine before. The binoculars won’t zoom (useless) and are all sorts of glitched. The binocular view persists after letting go of the L2 button. However if you switch to another item in your inventory, your body is invisible and you can’t see your watch. If stuck in the binocular view you can sort of barely see your arm if you try to look at your watch. Exiting and reloading solves the problem as long as you don’t try to use the binoculars again.
Very annoying, but not as bad as the interaction glitch a few updates ago.

PS4, single player, random map with one edited island added, hard mode, starting crate, all other settings default. Game was started yesterday AFTER the update I believe (95% sure). I’m sure the problem existed from the start, but I didn’t find and use binoculars until a day or two into the game.

Hi all, I’ve created a Known Issues post here: [Known Issue][PS4/XB1] Binoculars not working as intented - I’ll be updating as I go through posts today if needs be and will reply to each of your comments below.

@Happykillmor - welcome to the forums. I do not know if specific types of binoculars are affected, asking players when they acquired the binoculars is part of looking into this. If you do find a new pair, it may be worth testing them to see if there is any difference. If there is, please let me know in the link posted above. Please also let me know what console you are playing on.

@Gratitud_Attitud - welcome to the forums. Thank you for sharing the details of your experience and that image. I will make a note of this permanent zoom you were stuck on. If this is occurs again, or shows in a different way, please let me know in the link posted above.

@NgtHwk1 - Thank you for answering those questions for me!

@EDenney - Thank you for sharing that information about how this issue manifests for you and for including the details of your save including when it was started.

1 Like

An I have tried new ones to an still the same way I play on Xbox so all of them that I have picked up are messed up

Thanks for letting me know @Happykillmor - I shall confirm this in my report for the team.

@Clare if its any help i loaded up a new Multiplayer save but was playing private everything on default no custom islands and yes the binocs are still broken unfortunately. Luckily with my (220) day save on single player i didnt save after this glitch thank god !! But still searching for any other known issues for yourself and the team in private Multiplayer and single and have not come across anything so far :crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers: will update if i do find anything

Thank you so much for that extra info @Charlie1992 - I appreciate you keeping me up to date on what you see when playing and I’ll pass this info onto the team :slight_smile: Glad to hear you haven’t seen anything else so far though!

1 Like

Xbox 1 - I was able to see my watch and arm but was stuck with the binocular look. I also was unable to zoom in with the binoculars.

Hi wilson, welcome to the forums.

Thank you for sharing the details or your experience of this issue, I shall add it to my report.

Hi i found a fix you this bug! I dropped all my items and quit the game and reloaded in

Hi Moisty_Monky - welcome to the forums!

Reloading the game seems to resolve the issue but then using the binoculars again means the issue reappears, has the issue reappeared for you when using binoculars since you used the fix you mentioned above or can you use your binoculars without any further issues?

If it has resolved the issue in your game entirely that’s great news! Please let me know if you recall what items you were holding when you dropped them and reset as there may be a clue in there as to what triggers the issue for players and I’ll add all these details to my report for the team :slight_smile: Thank you!

For the record. This issue still exists.

Yes it still is a problem lol

Hi @DanBurke420 and @ThePassiveSniper420 - thank you for confirming this. In passing this onto the team members working on this issue, they’ve informed me they believe they’ve found the cause of the issue and are working on the fix for it. Though I do not have a timeline for the next update, this fix should be included in it when it is released.