[PS4][2071][Gameplay] Crashes, lag, items falling through sand

Summary
I’ve played for a few hours with the new update installed. The lag on my main island (lots of items laying around) was annoying before, but now it’s worse. In addition, now I’m experiencing lag on new islands I’m visiting for the first time. I’ll pan left or right and I get lots of lag. None walking forward…just when I turn.
Also I’ve had 4 crashes when trying to save at a shelter. It’s happened on 3 different islands now. Sleeping works fine, but saves are causing a crash sometimes. I’ve been saving more frequently (every 10 minutes or so) and at least once an hour it causes a crash, losing all my progress.
I’m also losing items in the sand. I dropped some spears and planks and they sunk into the sand never to be seen again. I’m betting you didn’t mean to create quicksand did you? It’s a nice touch, but it would be nice if it looked different than the other sand on the beach. :slight_smile:

Seed

Settings
No custom islands. Wildlife passive. I’ve tried turning Volumetric clouds on and off but it still does it either way (I did that for the lag problem, but it actually didn’t help that any either).

Steps
Play for a few minutes and then try to save at a shelter. At least 20% of the time my game crashes.

Extras
-Have you tried reloading your save, game or console? When I reload my save, the one I just tried (when it crashed) didn’t work so it goes back to the previous save.

-Have you tried clearing the cache of the console by shutting down for 2 mins before rebooting? Yes. No joy.

-Is there anything else you tried to alleviate the issue? Please let us know whether it was successful or not. I tried swearing at my PS4 but that hasn’t helped, although I did feel slightly satisfied that my PS4 didn’t react negatively.

1 Like

Hi dave67az,

I’m sorry to hear you’re experiencing these issues. Thank you for reporting this.

From you description it sounds like this is a save that was updated rather than a new one, is that correct?

I can confirm that any “quicksand” is definitely unintentional and I’m glad to hear that your PS4 did not react negatively to other workarounds you tried.

I’m going to submit a report for both the increased lag, crashes (possibly lag related) and the quicksand issue. If this is an established save you’re playing on, would it be possible to get a copy of your save? While the team can’t fix and return individual saves, yours might provide a clue as to what has caused this increase in lag and crashes and help the team in their investigation.

If you’re happy to send the file our way, to access the file:

• Turn on PS4
  • Insert an External USB Drive into one of the 2 USB ports on the front of the PS4.
  • In the main menu, go to “Settings”
  • Click on “Application Saved Data Management”
  • Select “Saved Data in System Storage”
  • Select “Copy to USB Storage Device”
  • Select Stranded Deep
  • Select all files and press “Copy”
  • Wait until transfer is complete
  • Remove External Drive
  • Zip up all files copied to USB drive including “.bin” and “Profile” files
  • Email us the Zip files to contact@beamteamgames.com

or, if unable to send the files via email you can upload the files to your Dropbox or other cloud file service and email us the link. Please also use your Forum username in the subject line, and let me know here when you’ve sent it and I’ll make sure to grab it for the team asap.

Thanks!

Quicksand happened to me as well. I was breaking up a palm bunch when one of the fronds disappeared in the sand. This was a fresh game.

1 Like

Thanks for letting me know Btroms. If you notice anything else vanishing, please do let me know. I’ll keep a note of what items vanish for the team in case there is a common thread.

A post was split to a new topic: [2071] Various Issues

I think this is pretty close to what my husband and I are experiencing, so I’ll give a quick rundown of our fun.

I want to say it started around day 15, on the second island (first traveled to). We noticed he (host) would see small palms I couldn’t, but we would both see the fiber when it was destroyed. Shortly after, I was kicked from the session and rejoined, and could see things he couldn’t, but there would be nothing if I destroyed them except my axe/knife would lose durability. That I figured was a sync issue between us, so we just kept mudding on.

Later, I would drop my hoe near our farm plots low on the beach and once it disappeared into the sand. I barely managed to target the now invisible hoe, but probably wouldn’t have if I hadn’t seen it vanish in the first place.

We’ve also lost fish dropped near the campfire higher on the hill, disappearing and reappearing leather (again, higher terrain), and rocks vanishing into the void on the beach.

We play together on PS4, passive wildlife, created islands but we had not visited the created Island yet (when we did, we got to experience the inability to target/interact fun in another thread).

Thanks for all you do, hope my details help!

Edit: I forgot to mention some incredible lag experienced when sailing, I was frightened I would fall off the raft my husband was sailing. It was worse if I was looking left or right, better if I stayed still but still choppy at times. We didn’t experience much running around the island, though crashed quite a few times when saving.

Hi Sunnyleigh,

Thank you for providing the details of your experiences. I will update my reports with your details.

While I know it may be difficult to tell, when targeting your invisible hoe, did it feel like it was on the ground but you couldn’t see it or that it had slipped the below?

I want to say it slipped below the sand, based on exactly where the name was when I finally got it targeted

1 Like

Thanks Sunnyleigh :slight_smile: I wanted to double check in case it needed to be added to a different report.

@Sunnyleigh - The team are trying to replicate this issue as close as possible in testing. Would it be possible to get the seed number and the location of the island where you’ve lost items in your save?
If you happen to have a video clip that would also help a lot - but if not, no worries.

My game lags verry hard when returning to my main island. It happens when i am almost there. Can not yuse my gyro because of de lag when returning. In the lag at the end i can hear the ticking of the inventory. When going to other islands the lag is a lot less ■■■■ stil verry anoing.

Hi Diether,

I am sorry to hear you have experienced this issue too and understand it is frustrating. I will make a note of your experience for the team investigating this issue.