I’m very sorry to hear this has happened in your game. Thank you for reporting this. I completely understand how frustrating and disappointing it is to loose progress.
If you check the save data for the game via the console menu, does your save file still exist on the system even if it cannot be recognized by the game? This would need to be checked before a new save is started in the same slot as otherwise it might be overwritten by a new save. With only one save slot used there would be a very small placeholder file, and then a slightly larger main file.
While I believe this is a version of [Known Issue] "Continue" option not displaying for save that has occurred for you, this is based on whether the save file is still on your PS4 or not. If the save file does still exist, the team would greatly appreciate a chance to look at the save file as it may provide some insight as to what could be causing the file to not be recognized by the game. While the team cannot fix and return individual saves to players they would use them in their investigation and hopefully it’ll help us release a fix to the community as a whole.
To access the file:
- Turn on PS4
- Insert an External USB Drive into one of the 2 USB ports on the front of the PS4.
- In the main menu, go to “Settings”
- Click on “Application Saved Data Management”
- Select “Saved Data in System Storage”
- Select “Copy to USB Storage Device”
- Select Stranded Deep
- Select all files and press “Copy”
- Wait until transfer is complete
- Remove External Drive
- Zip up all files copied to USB drive including “.bin” and “Profile” files
- Email us the Zip files to firstname.lastname@example.org
or, if unable to send the files via email you can upload the files to your Google Drive, Dropbox or other cloud file service and email us the link.
Some things you may wish to try to prompt the game to try recognize the file:
- Clear the cache of the console by shutting down and unplugging for 2 minutes before rebooting
- Clear the cache as above but when launching the game for the first time afterwards, do so offline.
- Backup your save to external storage, remove the game and all files from the system, clear the cache as above, then reinstall and restore the save from storage to the console.
We have not had a report back from players on them successfully being able to access their save with these workarounds, but they may be worth a shot if you wish to give them a go. If you do, whether they are successful or not, please do let me know.
In most reports I’ve seen, this has only affected players once. However there have been cases where players have lost more than one save - these are rare and I don’t recall any being reported in the current version. As you are on PS4 if you wish to avoid the risk of it occurring again, you could opt to back up your PS4 save on occasion to USB so should it happen again you can revert to a previous save. I know this is not an ideal workaround, but you may find it helpful while the team continues to investigate.
If you think of anything else that you remember occurring before the crash, such as something usual around the time you saved, or if you remember what actions you took before and after saving, this information could be useful too.
Thank you and again I’m sorry to hear this happened to your save.